• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Arthur Morris

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Passed away at 93. One of the greats and a true gentleman on the game.

RIP

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Woodfull, Ponsford, Brown, Fingleton, Morris and Barnes. We just kept churning out legends at the top of the order back then

RIP

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Woodfull, Ponsford, Brown, Fingleton, Morris and Barnes. We just kept churning out legends at the top of the order back then

RIP
McDonald, Simpson and Lawry from the late 50s and 60s were top shelf as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
A terrific innings. Whenever I've heard anyone mention Morris it has only been positive, which is definitely a good indication that he must been a top guy.

harsh.ag

Yeah, never heard anything but affection and admiration. Goodbye Mr Invincible, and well played.

fredfertang

He used to be known as 'Bedser's bunny', because Sir Alec got him out 22 times - next in the list was Hugh Tayfield with just 8, so it was a fair point

Not long before he died I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Alec - he wasn't one of the world's smilers but I did get two out of him - the first was when I mentioned his record against Morris - with his face set with its usual deadpan expression he said 'Yes, I got Arthur out early a few times', and then the grin followed by 'and I got him a few times before he could get to 200 as well'

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
A bloke who never seemed to have a bad word said or written about him, either as a player or as a man. That Invincible generation is now nearly gone. RIP.

the big bambino

International Captain
On the Bedser rivalry, Davis has calculated Morris averaging 25 against Sir Alec. As a comparison SRT averaged 34 against Donald (in tests). I think SRT's effort against Donald gave him that contest in a shade. Similarly, and considering Bedser was usually on the weaker team, you'd have to say he won his battle with Morris. Nonetheless a great player and I've just finished up reading some of his interviews posted under his cricinfo profile. A humble legend.