• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Man of Honour

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
A Man of Honour

Integrity is an important characteristic for an Ashes captain and as Martin explains in this feature none have had more of that than Bill Woodfull
i have read that and Woodfull was a lovely guy and brave cricketer but never let any of this detract from the fact that DR Jardine is a great British hero and not a villain.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i have read that and Woodfull was a lovely guy and brave cricketer but never let any of this detract from the fact that DR Jardine is a great British hero and not a villain.
One day we will all let it fly about Jardine, however I expect this is not the thread to do so.

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
One day we will all let it fly about Jardine, however I expect this is not the thread to do so.
Not sure what you mean. Jardine was a great and courage s man a real hero for me. The Aussies seemed to largely take it on the chin with the exception of 'The Don' who's pride was massive and who later tried to prove that the great Harold Larwood was a 'chucker' because he was beaten.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure what you mean. Jardine was a great and courage s man a real hero for me. The Aussies seemed to largely take it on the chin with the exception of 'The Don' who's pride was massive and who later tried to prove that the great Harold Larwood was a 'chucker' because he was beaten.
Haha,

I accept he was your hero. And most people born English agree. He was a villain for me coming from the antipodes. Bought the game into disrepute etc...

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jardine is a great hero of mine. Bradman was the greatest batsman of all time but his crusade to rubbish Larwood is disgraceful. Bradman is a tosser in my opinnion.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Me too, but Hurricane, surprisingly for a bloke who is otherwise an excellent poster, has some very misguided views on the subject
No - I could be one eyed about it and say I am right and you blokes are wrong. However from having read everyone's view points over the years there are two views on Jardine subscribed to by different people. Some people say he is a hero some say a villain.
Saying that one view is "wrong" lacks the ability to empathise with another viewpoint.

And to pretend that I am the only person the world with negative views about Douglas is not accurate thinking.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Clearly I didn't make it sufficiently clear that my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I made that post :)

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hurricane I accept your point of view. I have read much about Bodyline over the years and the question has nagged away at me 'was Jardine right'. No I don't think so. However I think he possessed an enormous amount of moral courage to carry it through. Larwood loved Jardine because he looked up to him. Bradman is nothing to me, a total jerk, a man lacking moral courage. Jardine and Larwood are role models and I have told my son this but I have also told him Bradman is the greatest batsman of all time. That's how it is.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Hurricane I accept your point of view. I have read much about Bodyline over the years and the question has nagged away at me 'was Jardine right'. No I don't think so. However I think he possessed an enormous amount of moral courage to carry it through. Larwood loved Jardine because he looked up to him. Bradman is nothing to me, a total jerk, a man lacking moral courage. Jardine and Larwood are role models and I have told my son this but I have also told him Bradman is the greatest batsman of all time. That's how it is.
What strikes me about bodyline is also courage, but not the courage of Jardine to carry it through. It was the courage of those very brave Aussie batsman who stood up to it. Nothing would full me of greater cheer than if I could re-watch my bodyline videos and find that Australia won the series. But they didn't win. Naturally that turned out for the best or bodyline would not have been banned. But it doesn't stop me from willing those australians to win it.

McCabe made his breakthrough in the following Australian season in 1932–33, which was went down in history due to England's use of the controversial Bodyline tactics. In the lead-up to the Tests, McCabe scored 43, 67 and 19 in two tour matches against the Englishmen.[18]

In the First Test in Sydney, with England captain Douglas Jardine again employed Bodyline. This involved constant intimidatory short-pitched leg-side bowling with a leg-cordon to catch balls fended off by the batsman, in an attempt to curtail Donald Bradman, generally regarded as the best batsman ever, from scoring.[42] McCabe came to the wicket on the first day, the score at 3/82 with Bill Woodfull, Bill Ponsford and Jack Fingleton already dismissed, and Bradman not playing due to illness.[8] Having warned his parents, who were watching him in Test cricket for the only time, not to jump the fence if he was hit, McCabe took guard. Jardine had deployed seven men on the leg-side, usually with five close catchers and two men patrolling the boundary for hook shots. McCabe hooked the first ball he received from Bodyline spearhead Harold Larwood for a boundary.[43] After Kippax fell with the score at 87, McCabe and Vic Richardson added 129 before Richardson fell. McCabe reached stumps at 127 not out with the total 6/290. His innings was marked by dangerous cutting and compulsive hooking of short-pitched deliveries in front of his face, unfazed by the repeated body blows which hit his team-mates.[8]

McCabe walks out to bat during the First Test of the Bodyline series.
McCabe's attack forced Jardine to abandon his Bodyline approach.[8] Jardine removed Larwood from the attack and brought on Gubby Allen. Under the professional-amateur divide of the time, England's captain was always an amateur, and professionals, such as Larwood, were obliged to obey the captain's orders. Allen was an amateur who refused to bowl Bodyline. McCabe struck three consecutive fours from Allen's conventional fast bowling, prompting Jardine to call for Bodyline field placings. Allen refused, so Jardine was forced to drop his Bodyline attack and resort to the spin bowling of Hedley Verity and Wally Hammond.[44] The crowd responded to his instinctive aggression with wild cheering. McCabe said that "it was really an impulsive, senseless innings, a gamble that should not have been made but came off against all the odds".[44]

McCabe scored 60 of the 70 runs that Australia added on the second day to finish 187 not out from 233 balls as Australia were bowled out for 360. McCabe added the runs in just one hour of batting and ended with 25 boundaries in his innings, which lasted a little over four hours. He was particularly effectively in farming the strike while batting with his tail end partners; in his last wicket stand of 55 with Tim Wall, he scored 50 of the runs in just half an hour.[2][45]

He was praised by Larwood, who spearheaded the Bodyline attack and totalled 10/128 for the match, which ended in a decisive 10-wicket victory for England.[8] Wisden reported that McCabe "scored off Larwood's bowling in a style which for daring and brilliance was not approached by any other Australian during the tour".[45] Richard Whitington wrote in the 1970s that McCabe's innings "still warms the blood of the dwindling number of Australians who watched it".[46] McCabe received a thunderous standing ovation from the 46,000 spectators.[47] Immediately after the innings, McCabe told his teammates that he would never be able to replicate the feat because it was too difficult to hook the ball consistently without hitting it up into the air and giving away catching opportunities.[48]

Umpire George Hele, who officiated the match said:[49]

Stan gave Voce all he was bargaining for. He and Vic Richardson took all the English bowlers could hurl at the them. This innings stamped Stan as one of the world's greatest batsmen. He stepped into the [trajectory of the] bowling, he hooked, he pulled, and did what he liked with it. The faster they bowled the more he seemed to enjoy it.[49]
This passage from Wikipedia sends shivers up my spine because it actually happened and was not a Hollywood movie. My sister and I when we grew up had a saying that "truth is stranger than fiction".

I secretly longed as a ten year old that I could be McCabe and stand up to that bowling and send it to all parts.

That match was 80 years ago and we are still discussing it. That Jardine is revered is a mystery to me. But I accept that he is and I don't lose sleep over it.

fredfertang

Fascinating bloke Stan McCabe - that innings was one of three great knocks he played, the last of which, at Trent Bridge in '38, Bradman thought (at that time anyway) was the best he had seen - he didn't do much else in 32/33 however, and for some reason seldom batted well with Bradman

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Fascinating bloke Stan McCabe - that innings was one of three great knocks he played, the last of which, at Trent Bridge in '38, Bradman thought (at that time anyway) was the best he had seen - he didn't do much else in 32/33 however, and for some reason seldom batted well with Bradman
If I didn't know you measure your words and use the word great sparingly then I would say you are underselling all of those innings. In Aotearoa as part of our culture we are very very liberal with adjectives and I would have chosen a different superlative. When I went overseas I would constantly cause alarm, over reactions and concern with my explanations of different events I had witnessed. I had to learn to be more careful and now that I am back here I go for it again with great gusto.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I think you did an ATG team once that contained McCabe. I loved that.

fredfertang

If I didn't know you measure your words and use the word great sparingly then I would say you are underselling all of those innings. In Aotearoa as part of our culture we are very very liberal with adjectives and I would have chosen a different superlative. When I went overseas I would constantly cause alarm, over reactions and concern with my explanations of different events I had witnessed. I had to learn to be more careful and now that I am back here I go for it again with great gusto.
Oh I don't think I undersell Napper - he's one of my great favourites, as I think is clear from this The All Time Great that CricketWeb forgot | Cricket Web

Sobering thought that it's five years since I wrote that

watson

Banned
No - I could be one eyed about it and say I am right and you blokes are wrong. However from having read everyone's view points over the years there are two views on Jardine subscribed to by different people. Some people say he is a hero some say a villain.
Saying that one view is "wrong" lacks the ability to empathise with another viewpoint.

And to pretend that I am the only person the world with negative views about Douglas is not accurate thinking.
Let's not forget that it was Percy Fender and Frank Foster who formulated Leg Theory. Fender passed on his Theory to Jardine after noticing Bradman flinch to some short pitched bowling during the Ashes series of 1930. And then Jardine got the necessary field placements from Foster who had been bowling his own version of Bodyline for some years.

Jardine wasn't even original.