• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strongest World Cup team that all played together in a game?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kirsten
Gibbs
Cullinan
Cronje
Kallis
Rhodes
Pollock
Klusener
Boucher
Elworthy
Donald

just imagine if Ntini had been in there for Elworthy

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zim beat plenty of good teams in '99. They weren't a minnow

On paper it's a very good XI IMO

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
How can they be the strongest team when they didn't even make a World Cup Final?

This isn't the prepared to lose to win thread.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Zim beat plenty of good teams in '99. They weren't a minnow

On paper it's a very good XI IMO
Zimbabwe were a very good team around the turn of the century, however you are proposing that the South African side of 1999 was the strongest ever assembled in a World Cup.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can they be the strongest team when they didn't even make a World Cup Final?

This isn't the prepared to lose to win thread.
Think he meant on paper.

Anyway, regardless of that, I think Australia '07 and West Indies both '79 & '83 were probably better.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

'79
Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Kallicharran
Lloyd
King
Murray
Roberts
Garner
Holding
Croft

'83
Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Lloyd
Gomes
Bacchus
Dujon
Marshall
Roberts
Garner
Holding

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Think he meant on paper.

Anyway, regardless of that, I think Australia '07 and West Indies both '79 & '83 were probably better.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath
IMHO I'd take Australia 2003 over this side.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Symonds
Hogg
Bichel
Lee
McGrath

Debris

International 12th Man
IMHO I'd take Australia 2003 over this side.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Lehmann
Bevan
Symonds
Hogg
Bichel
Lee
McGrath
This is the side I would take as well, mostly because I rate Lee and Bevan very highly.

I have a suspicion that the WI sides from the late 70s would not be particularly outstanding in the modern game. The 5th bowling option is weak and they are in real trouble if one of the main bowlers is off at all. The sides also look to be missing power hitters to finish the innings aside from Richards. They were amazing sides for the time but the game has moved on.