• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Strongest World Cup team that all played together in a game?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1999 Australia had the Waughs and Warne though plus your Gilchrist, McGrath, in-form Fleming and Lehmann/Bevan/Martyn/Ponting

tbh 1999 was the peak of cricket competitiveness

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
1999 Australia had the Waughs and Warne though plus your Gilchrist, McGrath, in-form Fleming and Lehmann/Bevan/Martyn/Ponting

tbh 1999 was the peak of cricket competitiveness
Yeah I think the 1999 Australian side might suffer from the fact the Waughs got found out just over a year later in that tri-series. '99 was a brilliant side otherwise.

mr_mister

which tri series are you talking about NZT? I was unaware the Waughs played really badly in one. Was it PAK/IND/AUS

Slifer

International Captain
This is the side I would take as well, mostly because I rate Lee and Bevan very highly.

I have a suspicion that the WI sides from the late 70s would not be particularly outstanding in the modern game. The 5th bowling option is weak and they are in real trouble if one of the main bowlers is off at all. The sides also look to be missing power hitters to finish the innings aside from Richards. They were amazing sides for the time but the game has moved on.
I beg to differ with your assessment of the WI team. I would say the Oz '07 team is better, but there's no way u can say that they wouldn't do well in 'modern' times. The game back then was played on bigger grounds with a more even contest between bat and ball (favored ball more tbh). Transport the likes of Richards, Lloyd, Greenidge et al and have them play on some of the puny fields that are common place and they'd be just fine.

akilana

International 12th Man
Where am I claiming England to be anything that they're not?

You're the one that has a cry whenever anyone dares speak ill of South Africa.
You are only one to always have a cry in every thread about many things, especially SA

Last edited:

stephen

If I could take a combined Australian side from the era I'd pick:

Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Bevan
Hussey
Lee