• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Laxman or Azhar?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Come on, you can't blur the two game-forms!
He never looked like getting dropped from the Test-side 281-onwards - just leave one-day considerations out of it, will you?
In one-dayers, as I've already said, I totally agree that he has only started to realise his potential from the TVS Cup onwards.
I have to agree, they are such totally different games. Azhar is pushing it for me due to his ability in ODIs, but if Laxman carries on where he left off in the VB series, Laxman's superior Test record could push him into favor for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
I dont think that the standards of bowling that Laxman has been facing has 'lessned'.

He just makes facing McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Bichel, Warne, MacGill, Williams and Bracken look oh so easy.
Five of the names you name just back-up my point.
If Bichel, Lee, MacGill, Williams and Bracken are playing, the standards of Test bowling are far worse than they were in Azharrudin's day (the Ws, Curtley and Courteney, Donald and Pollock, McGrath and Fleming). And they're by no streatch of the imagination the only ones.
The standard of bowling in the 1990s was almost as good as in the 1970s. And you got different pitch conditions almost everywhere you went.
Batting was a hell of a lot harder then than it has been for the last 2 or 3 years.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Come on, you can't blur the two game-forms!
He never looked like getting dropped from the Test-side 281-onwards - just leave one-day considerations out of it, will you?
Yes he didnt look like gettign dropped in tests at all. Just that he always has had so much talent that I think he is only peaking right now. Earlier it was always about how much Laxman could achieve and not how much he did achieve. He had the 167 and 281 but I think the dropping from World Cup 2003 changed every thing for him as he must have thought a lot more on his game and why he was dropped. He definitely seems to have risen to a new high.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes - in ODIs.
But in Test-matches, the high started long ago.
Possibly it has been overrated due to the fact that his most recent performances have been against Australia. So what? The bowling was still rubbish.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I have seen Azhar from the beginning of his career from when he smashed those 3 consecutive 100s on debut against Eng, and entered into the record books. Azharuddin and Laxman are similar but I would say they are not exactly the same batsman. Azhar was more wristy then Laxman and probably the best the game has ever seen, but he was even more susceptible against the short stuff then Laxman is. Laxman can play the pull and hook shots quite effectively, but Azhar was quite poor in that area although both are/were very good drivers of the ball.

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
i would say that Azhar was far more superior than Laxman.Though laxman's is a sort of a matchwinning player,Azhar is far more consistent than Laxman.Azhar though restricted to few shots when compared to laxman,he is a sort of player who knows how to graft his innings.He plays according to the situation of the team.i think laxman's present phase in Odi is similar to what Dravid was facing in the Initial stages of his ODI career.So as of now Azhar is far more superior than Laxman(Atleast in the shorter version of the game).The fielding and running between the wickets of Azhar is an added advantage over laxman.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
As batsmen, Azhar any day. His partnership with Sachin against RSAat Durban(?) was prolly the best display of batting I have seen, except perhaps the Calcutta effort y Laxman and Dravid. One on-drive by Azza of Paul Adams is imprinted in my mind. Tosssed up ball, outside the off stump; you could almost imagine Azza thinking, "I could off drive it ... or may be the cover drive... oh what the hell, i'll just hit it to the long on boundary". simply amazing!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
viktor said:
As batsmen, Azhar any day. His partnership with Sachin against RSAat Durban(?) was prolly the best display of batting I have seen, except perhaps the Calcutta effort y Laxman and Dravid. One on-drive by Azza of Paul Adams is imprinted in my mind. Tosssed up ball, outside the off stump; you could almost imagine Azza thinking, "I could off drive it ... or may be the cover drive... oh what the hell, i'll just hit it to the long on boundary". simply amazing!
lol, both Azhar and Laxman do that a lot. It is classic, isn't it?

Beleg

International Regular
Azhar mainly because what I haven't seen much of post 99 Laxman [and he didn't really impress me in the Pakistan tour IIRC]

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
viktor said:
LOL! That's so true.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would prefer watching Laxman to Azhar but if my life is at stake on the batting, I would opt for Azhar. He was far stronger mentally. If Laxman had Azhar's mental strength, his figures would have been mind boggling.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
amokk1 said:
Who in their right mind would compare VVS Laxman to Azhar Mahmood ?
good point. But maybe they were referring to Mohammed Azharuddin, who might have been a tad similar to Laxman in the way he used his wrists. :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!

Laxman is great, replacing him would be an extremely pointless excercise, he is a very very good player in my opinion. one of the best batsmen in the world.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
AZHAR any day or night. Azhar was in a different class with the bat and was 100 times better in the field. VVS can not match Azhar in this life time.

It's like comparing Apples with tomatoes.

Swervy

International Captain
yeah I would choose Azhar over Laxman as well. To be honest whenever I have sat down properly to watch a VVS innings, he tends to disappoint me..I guess I have not been lucky enough to see his better innings (other than on highlights etc).

Azhar was a very very good batsman, but i wouldnt class him right up there with the very best of his day though