• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

Who is Sri Lanka's best ever cricketer?

• Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Kumar Sangakkara

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Mahela Jayawardene

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aravinda De Silva

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Chaminda Vaas

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

viriya

International Captain
Saw this poll on cricinfo among the Sanga retirement articles and was surprised that Sanga was voted over Murali..
Sangakkara voted as Sri Lanka's best | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Probably for sentimental reasons, but thought of doing another poll here to see what people think. I think it's a no-brainer of course - Murali is imo the GOAT bowler so it's an easy choice.

Tests only - no ODIs/T20s.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Depends on your opinion of Murali. If you think he chucks, then it's Sanga, if you think he's legit, it's him. But not much separates them anyway.

viriya

International Captain
Depends on your opinion of Murali. If you think he chucks, then it's Sanga, if you think he's legit, it's him. But not much separates them anyway.
If you this he is legit, how exactly is there not much separating them? Sanga is only arguably 2nd best all-time, Murali would be almost unarguably GOAT bowler. Hardly close.

viriya

International Captain
He would at least be closer to be the GOAT bowler than Sanga would be to be the GOAT batsman/2nd best batsman.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
If you this he is legit, how exactly is there not much separating them? Sanga is only arguably 2nd best all-time, Murali would be almost unarguably GOAT bowler. Hardly close.
Don't really think Murali is unarguably the GOAT. But he certainly belongs in the discussion as potentially the GOAT.

Not even sure what you're asking me tbh. As I said, if you think Murali is legit, he's Sri Lanka's greatest. You wanna argue about how much separates them or summit?

viriya

International Captain
Don't really think Murali is unarguably the GOAT. But he certainly belongs in the discussion as potentially the GOAT.

Not even sure what you're asking me tbh. As I said, if you think Murali is legit, he's Sri Lanka's greatest. You wanna argue about how much separates them or summit?
Was questioning your "But not much separates them anyway." comment.

viriya

International Captain
I would say Murali, a fair gap, then Sanga, a fair gap, then Mahela. Just tests of course. If ODIs are taken into account Aravinda and Sanath would come into play probably still at #3.

viriya

International Captain
I should clarify, this is for Tests only. Would be unfair to leave out Sanath from the list otherwise.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'm assuming your hardly close comment refers to the ratings of the players in the rest of the post because Sanga is nowhere near 2nd best all time and Murali is definitely not the unarguable best of all time.