• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever test series IYO?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bodyline?

Something between Aus and the Windies?

I'm not very familiar with non-Australian series, but I'm sure India and Pakistan have had an exciting one or two

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gotta be one of Ashes 2005 or WI-Aus 1961

And I truly believe Aus-India 2001 would've been seen as every bit as good if we'd got atleast one more test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Must be a two test series

Said no one ever
England-New Zealand from this year and South Africa-Australia from whenever Cummins debuted were both fine series to be fair, although the perfect example of what is wrong with 2 Test series.

South Africa v India in 2010 a contender from series not already named.

smash84

The Tiger King
Ashes 2005 was probably the finest that I saw live on TV. Hard to go past that one (didn't see the 1981 Ashes but i reckon that would be up there)

Pak-WI 1988 pretty special

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India in South Africa 2010-11 is one of the best that I saw. It was an even contest between the 2 teams, an even contest between bat and ball, had some excellent batting performances from Kallis, Tendulkar, Laxman and others; some excellent bowling performances from Zaheer, Harbhajan and others. Regardless of the final aggregate figures (which was surely not bad), Steyn probably bowled the best that he ever has.

Last edited:

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Ashes 2005 is the one that springs to mind. First test series that I can remember every detail of what happened (I remember bits of 2001/2003-4 ashes and bits of the 2003 WC).

Edit: Forgot the 2014 SA vs AUS series. That was pretty good too.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
India in South Africa 2010-11 is one of the best that I saw. It was an even contest between the 2 teams, an even contest between bat and ball, had some excellent batting performances from Kallis, Tendulkar, Laxman and others; some excellent bowling performances from Zaheer, Harbhajan and others. Regardless of the final aggregate figures (which was surely not bad), Steyn probably bowled the best that he ever has.
Presumably we're not including the 1st Test in that analysis?

morgieb

Obviously don't remember watching the series, but would Pakistan/Australia 1994 count in this regard?

Australia/West Indies 81-82 also looks a bit of a cracker.

morgieb

Ashes 2005 is the one that springs to mind. First test series that I can remember every detail of what happened (I remember bits of 2001/2003-4 ashes and bits of the 2003 WC).

Edit: Forgot the 2014 SA vs AUS series. That was pretty good too.
Yeah. Only real weakness was that none of the Tests were particularly close, although the third went down to the wire IIRC.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India in Australia 2003 was very good too - but it loses points in my book for being a batsman-dominated series in general

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pretty sure I've said on a few occasions I think 2 test match series often end up being better than 4/5 match ones most of the time

morgieb

I'll also add the India/Pakistan series of 1999....especially if one adds the Asian Test Championship Test.