• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2nd best batsman ever

2nd best batsman ever

• Hobbs

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Hutton

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Tendulkar

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Lara

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Sangakkara

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Sobers

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • Viv Richards

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Hutton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gavaskar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.6%

• Total voters

Burner

International Regular
Bradman was a hack anyway. The only reason why he averaged so high is because everytime he lofted the ball up into the air, he would distract the fielder coming underneath to catch it by pointing up into the sky and saying, "Hey look, a plane!!". Since planes were so rare in those times, it was impossible for the fielder to not look at where Bradman was pointing. Hence the catches were dropped everytime. IIRC the series in which bradman used this tactic profusely was called the Skyline series.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Some accounts mention that Bradman didn't like facing intimidating pace bowling. This is not particularly in regards to bodyline series. A number of English players and commentators noted Bradman's discomfort in playing the short, rising delivery during his 232 in Oval in 1930 series, Larwood mentioned:

"Our sole object was in curbing Bradman because we'd had this experience in 1930 with him; he absolutely murdered us. I think I had one for about 134 at Leeds, something like that. But the wickets rolled very, very slow, terrible slow, and the last time we played at The Oval, there was some rain got on the wicket and the ball was flying about, and I saw Bradman flinching. And I went to Jackson, at the other end, he played like a hero, (a big friend of mine, Archie was) but we all thought that Bradman was flinching. Well we thought, you may disagree, but we thought his leg-side attacking was very open to it. So we thought we'd all give it a go when we were out here, and we were successful with it. And then after we found out that other people were the same, one or two of them, so we kept at it."

Bradman being windy against quality pace bowling: myth or there is some truth in it?

This is a genuine question.
This gets brought up from time to time. Evidently it was Jardine's great "lightbulb" moment when he declared Bradman "yellow" and initiated bodyline.

I always wondered what the big deal with "flinching" was. I mean, he's out there with no head protection, the ball is darting around, he's reacting in hundredths of seconds to a rock hard missile. His reaction is more instinct than anything.

As for being "windy" against pace, well, I dunno. Whatever way you put it he averaged 100 over a career against whatever the opposition threw at him. And even in the bodyline series he averaged more than what most elite guys do over a career.

I've never really understood why it's considered such a revelation discovery by Jardine that someone didn't want to get hit in the head and potentially killed by a cricket ball.

the big bambino

International Captain
While the English pre war pace bowlers were generally averaging in a range btwn the low to high 20s against the other Australian batsmen they conceded btwn 65 - 120 runs to Bradman for every time they gained his wicket. The only pace bowler who played more than 5 tests against Australia in this period and averaged less than 50 against Bradman was Bowes. No spinner meeting the same criteria averaged less than 50 against Bradman though Verity came close.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i was reading the other day in this book I have from the 70s about the history of australian cricket, that the english once got bradman out in the series prior to bodyline (1930) with a short ball he apparently gloved to the keeper. bradman said later he missed the ball and shouldnt have been given out. he then said hes not complaining about being incorrectly giving out, as he was sometimes given not out when he should have been out(his words) but he brought it up simply because he thought it was silly that larwood and jardine deemed him suspect against the short ball when the only evidence of that was this one dismissal that he thinks wasnt even a dismissal

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
i was reading the other day in this book I have from the 70s about the history of australian cricket, that the english once got bradman out in the series prior to bodyline (1930) with a short ball he apparently gloved to the keeper. bradman said later he missed the ball and shouldnt have been given out. he then said hes not complaining about being incorrectly giving out, as he was sometimes given not out when he should have been out(his words) but he brought it up simply because he thought it was silly that larwood and jardine deemed him suspect against the short ball when the only evidence of that was this one dismissal that he thinks wasnt even a dismissal
I love my bodyline videos. They depict that bodyline was concocted over snifters of brandy and roaring open fires by men in dapper lounge suits, dressed so even though they had no appointments to attend to that day.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
yeah I know it's so so funny. They make Jardine and Larwood out to be cartoonish villians plotting the downfall of an empire

bagapath

International Captain
could be anybody on that list - and greg chappell... and walter hammond...

voted for hutton because i can't imagine anyone arguing that he was inferior to any other batter in the history of the game except bradman

(averaged 61.7 after 70 tests. easily the second best after bradman if you ask me)

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So the top 5 according to this poll:

1. <Someone assumed to be #1 without any justification>
2. Garry Sobers
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Viv Richards
5. Jack Hobbs

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Voted Sobers to boost his numbers just because I don't think Tendulkar is the 2nd best, definitely Sobers, Hammond, Hobbs all IMHO deserve to be ranked above Tendulkar.