• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Waugh calls it a Day!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer said:
Sorry to "rain on the parade" but Mark Waugh and Shane Warne are the first "Match Fixers" who got caught in 1994 and should have been kicked out of cricket long time ago even before cronje and azhar. The aussie cricket board covered up for them which clearly shows the double standards that plagues cricket to this day !:!(
Had they been made an example of it is my firm belief that Cronje and Azharrudin would never have got into the situations they did.
That said, Waugh and Warne never fixed matches and by no standards should they have been "kicked-out" of cricket.
A short ban and a public dressing-down would have done, and would have saved so much from so many.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
An elegant batsman and a fantastic slipper. I don't believe he ever reached his full potential, but I don't think that it worried him a great deal.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think he reached his full potential in all fields bar one - Test batting. One-day batting, at international and domestic level, I hoped he might end both careers averaging over 40, but 39 isn't bad. First-Class batting his record is phenominal, even if it has taken another disappointing dip in the last couple of seasons. Catching and fielding everywhere, brilliant. Bowling, not that good, but very useful on occasions. Don't think it could have been much better than it was.
If he'd have ended with a Test average of 45-6, though, I think it would have been a better indication of his abiliy.