• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best international players against spin under 30 these days

Niall

International Coach
Its Kaneh isn't it?

Huge innings in pretty much every sc country and also has done well in the West Indies a country where you won't do well these days if you can't do it against spin.

Obviously rate the likes of Smith and Root quite highly, the latter who will be absolutely crucial when England touring UAE with Yasir Shah lurking.

Sarfraz also mega gun against spinners as well.

Any other huge omission?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I lnow Mathews and Chandimal had been playing spin well for SL, but the crown usually goes to Kaushal Silva, who is the best against spin in SL. Another potental test player Milinda Siriwardane (who played ODIs and T20s) is also damn good against spin. It's odd that Karunarathne, Mathews, Sanga and Chandimal all of them are better against pace than spin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
So Sri Lanka's best player of spin is a legitimate wicket keeper, so they make him open the batting and then get their second best young batsman overall bat seven and keep wicket?

How farcical.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
this Indian fan anti-Kohli sentiment growing on CW will not be forgotten by me. A plague on all your penises.

Also Pujara is fair ugly. If he's coming in the team we need to bring back Jadeja to counter his ugliness with some delicious moustacheness.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Among the emerging Big 4 Kane is the best player of spin by a shade though all of them are pretty good against it as one would expect. Among other bats Sarfraz is a gun Pujara looked outrageously good vs spin couple of seasons back then there is Angelo, Dhawan, Sarfraz Tom Latham and Shafiq who all have done well vs spin. Jury still out on Chandi has just played an ATG innings against a very good spin attack but at times he looked village vs Yasir.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
So Sri Lanka's best player of spin is a legitimate wicket keeper, so they make him open the batting and then get their second best young batsman overall bat seven and keep wicket?

How farcical.
Farcical, it is. Chandimal should give up gloves. Kaushal is not attacking enough to keep and bat at #7. Bring in Kusal Janith, uber attacking, wk-bat, so we can bat him at #7 and Chandimal at #4.

SL had almost all the openers failing till SL coach asked Kaushal to give up gloves and prepare him for opening. KS had recognised this is the only way to get to the test tem, so grabbed the opportunity. Doing well he is. So SL has four full time keepers in the test side if KJP also plays. May be time to think about split wicket keeping duties between Chandimal and Kaushal if both wants to bat in the top order. I

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Utterly shocked the West Indian duo who soak up so many deliveries to the point of single-handedly causing victories of sides such as England didn't feature higher in the rankings from this analysis. Baffling.
I know you're not being entirely serious here, but I actually was surprised by how low Brathwaite ranked tbh.

Anyway, onto the actual topic.

Williamson, obviously. And I feel that people are being a bit knee-jerk by not mentioning Smith much here. Even if he gets out to spin perhaps more than he ought to, his processes against spin are strong, his footwork is decisive, and he's generally quite strong at picking which balls to attack and which to defend. If he gets rid of that angled bat cut thing that got him out at Eden Park in the WC, he'll be a better player of spin than actually-mobile Clarke IMO.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Smith is technically very good and actually pleasing to watch against Spin. I won't carry on about his technique against pace because you have that already in your signature but I would be tempted to say that Smith is better than Williamson against spin. Primarily because he is more aggressive and prepared to use his feet more.