• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warner appointed vice-captain

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Just wanted to know what were people's thoughts on it?Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.Dont think he's half the **** he was 2 years ago.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think it's a bold move but one that could well work.
I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I pretty much disagree with this entirely. Not so much because of any views I have of Warner, but because I just don't think it matters all the much who the VC is. Senior players beyond the captain taking on leadership roles is important in any team, but I've never really believed that officially appointing a VC really changes whether or not a player will do that much. If he's matured he'll become more of a leader whether he's VC or not.
VC often gets called upon to captain...as you well know - this is a significant appointment. I would have preferred to see a bowler get the nod, bowlers make good vice captains as they have a different perspective on issues. Vice also gets included in "decisions" from time to time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The VCy can sometimes be used to reign in 'expressive' players who also show cricketing promise. Makes them feel more responsible for their actions. Sort of like how Kohli had to curb himself after being appointed VC.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
if Smith twangs his hammy or pulls a calf the day before the first test of the summer it is a massive appointment.
Agreed. PEWS is wrong. He isn't often wrong. In this case he is.

The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year

The other issue I have with it is from an ethical perspective. It sends a very strong message about the type of team that Australia want to be. And I find that message to be surprising unless you look at it from GI Joe's perspective that this is a well thought appointment to transform the player into a more responsible one.
The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think Ponting was. IIRC Gilchrist became Vice captain after Warne was sacked, Ponting jumped the queue when Waugh was pensioned off.

Spark

Global Moderator

Cricket is not a morality tale.

burr

State Vice-Captain
The argument is good and works as well. Kohli needed to be thrust into responsibility to become a better and more mature cricketer, however I don't think that's the reason Australia made Warner VC. I think they made him VC for a very simple reason - they don't have anyone else and Warner is one of the very few players in the team who looks like he will play for a few years. If Rogers was 5 years younger, it would have been him, but he's not.
This. No one (apart from Warner) wants Warner as VC, there's just no one else. Still...if (huge if) Nevill can secure his position in the side maybe we'll never have the ignominy of Warner captaining Australia. Watson was bad enough.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket is not a morality tale.
It would be if I were in charge. In business we take morality into things all the time. All leadership appointments take ethical considerations into account in my workplace. Cricket ideally should be no different (if I were running Cricket Australia anyway).

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
If this helps him bat with more maturity when the team needs it then there's some value to it.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Ponting was. IIRC Gilchrist became Vice captain after Warne was sacked, Ponting jumped the queue when Waugh was pensioned off.
Nah, Ponting became Test VC after the 03 World Cup IIRC.

He did however jump the queue in ODI's.

Flem274*

123/5
i think i'm the only person outside australia who likes david warner sometimes. he's really good and he's more passionate and stupid than malevolent.