• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warner appointed vice-captain

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
If not Warner, who?

Lyon or MJ the next logical options, but Lyon needs to be available for dropping every series (plus has the team song), while MJ's coming to the twilight of his career. MMarsh could get it, but doesn't have a guaranteed spot...
Watson, obviously...

Valer

First Class Debutant
If not Warner, who?

Lyon or MJ the next logical options, but Lyon needs to be available for dropping every series (plus has the team song), while MJ's coming to the twilight of his career. MMarsh could get it, but doesn't have a guaranteed spot...
This pretty much

Warner is by far the most likely person to actually no be dropped in the next 1-2 years.

Other batsman are getting churned or retiring.

Nevill is new.

Too many very good but not undrop-able quicks for any stability there --MJ is tailing off too.

For better or worse Lyon is still not seen as cemented.

I'd like to see Lyon as VC purely to avoid the return of drop the spinner...

Watson, obviously...
Proven captaincy material. :ph34r:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
“Abrasive, arrogant, Australian. Warner ticks all the boxes for a cricketing pantomime villain,” The Telegraph wrote.

“His status as the sport’s leading persona non grata was enshrined after he punched Joe Root in a Birmingham Walkabout bar.

“Worse than the Walkabout set-to was arguably Warner saying, ‘Speak English,’ to Indian batsman Rohit Sharma during a one-day international in Melbourne earlier this year. Classy.”

Okay, I didn't know either of these, I take back my previous comments.]

edit: Opening batsman David Warner was named the most despised cricketer in the world, ahead of plonkers like Kevin Pietersen, Virat Kohli and Harbhajan Singh.

Heh, I thought the whole world loved Kohli?

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think the Kohli comparisons are a bit off.

It is a large amount of arrogance getting in the way of being a "statesman" type captain; there are more issues with Warner than that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
And the comparisons with Ponting; don't think Ponting had been into too much on field strife before his Bourbon and Beefsteak moment.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner seems to have matured since the death of PH tbf. He used to almost go out of his way to be a ****. Seems less scum-baggy these days.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'm going to despise Warner until he publicly apologises for every time he's confused 'aggressive cricket' with 'abuse' or someone else from the Australia setup uses it to excuse his behaviour

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to despise Warner until he publicly apologises for every time he's confused 'aggressive cricket' with 'abuse' or someone else from the Australia setup uses it to excuse his behaviour
that's the thing. I think he's figured it out.

In that cricinfo article it sounded like he was being asked to do the abuse by his peers and coaches, and now he's decided that he doesn't want to be that guy. If true, it's pretty despicable for his teammates and the coaching set up to be putting that behaviour on him - especially a few years ago when he was quite a young player. And it's not like he's particularly bright, so it would have taken a while to go from feeling cognitive dissonance of knowing that abuse /= positive cricket, but you're being told to do it anyway, and actually realising that what they're telling you to do indeed does not make sense and doesn't serve you or anyone else well.

Zinzan

that's the thing. I think he's figured it out.

In that cricinfo article it sounded like he was being asked to do the abuse by his peers and coaches, and now he's decided that he doesn't want to be that guy. If true, it's pretty despicable for his teammates and the coaching set up to be putting that behaviour on him - especially a few years ago when he was quite a young player. And it's not like he's particularly bright, so it would have taken a while to go from feeling cognitive dissonance of knowing that abuse /= positive cricket, but you're being told to do it anyway, and actually realising that what they're telling you to do indeed does not make sense and doesn't serve you or anyone else well.
What's even more despicable is this general mentality that the only way to win is to carry on with those bogan/bully-boy tactics. Let's hope under Smith's captaincy they grow up and start conducting themselves like the rest of the cricketing world.

To be fair on them, they haven't been so bad this series & I think a big part of that has been Haddin's absence. Also I think it'll help if Lehmann gets the axe following this series.

OverratedSanity

What's even more despicable is this general mentality that the only way to win is to carry on with those bogan/bully-boy tactics. Let's hope under Smith's captaincy they grow up and start conducting themselves like the rest of the cricketing world.

To be fair on them, they haven't been so bad this series & I think a big part of that has been Haddin's absence. Also I think it'll help if Lehmann gets the axe following this series.
Let's be honest, the biggest part of that is that they're losing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Read the article. Was Ganguly/Tendulkar who pointed it out to the umpires.

Bob Woolmer said:
"I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. I've tried to be innovative; the idea was to take the game forward. Where we erred was, I should have asked the ICC for permission. Perhaps I'm naïve, but it didn't occur to me. I felt it was a really good idea and I would like to discuss it with the ICC."

Pictured: Bob Woolmer during the press conference.