• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warner appointed vice-captain

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind the guy. He's good value.
If you enjoy train wrecks then he is very good value.

Anyway black warrior is right in the sense he was the only other batting option. Could still have gone for a bowler though even Lyon or Johnson.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
It would be if I were in charge. In business we take morality into things all the time. All leadership appointments take ethical considerations into account in my workplace. Cricket ideally should be no different (if I were running Cricket Australia anyway).
Fair point and I am sure CA, like most organistations today take ethical considerations into account, except I don't think for CA, it is a question of ethics at all. You might have a problem with what you say 'type of team that Australia want to be'. I don't think anyone else who is involved with cricket in Australia (at least the vast majority based on the opinions I read) have any problem with it? "Get ready for a broken ****ing arm' is the way Australia plays it's cricket and they have been at pains to point it out repeatedly.

Up until this IPL summer, I thought very highly of David Warner the cricket player, and very little of David Warner's character, of the person who plays cricket, both on and off the field.

I was very interested as to how he would an approach such a senior role of captaincy at the Sunrisers given his past on and off field indiscretions and even racial tensions with Indian players. By all accounts, he handled himself admirably, and the burden of captaincy did not impact on his form. He has since done interviews saying that he will no longer be the "attack dog" on the field for Clarke and Lehmann. There was conjecture whether he had been given that role or not by Messrs Lehman and Clarke, but he has subsequently carried himself around the field with only his fielding drawing attention to him as a player on the field.

I think the guy has said he wants to put his past indiscretions behind him, and become a leader not involved with unnecessary nastiness or on and off field tension that got media headlines with such regularity.

Good on him. If he continues his improved ways, in time it might be that people wonder whether Warner should have been made captain.

David Warner at the crossroads | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't actually think he's a bad guy, he's just very thick, and hasn't been able to understand to ignore the Aussie cry for #aggression or differentiate between aggressive play and just being a dick.
With the right people talking to him he'll be fine.
VC is all about making sure the environment is supportive and everyone feels comfortable. You don't have to be particularly intelligent to do that.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's an appalling appointment. Warner has a long history of terrible behaviour going back even to Grade cricket. Whilst some of those excesses have been reined in, he is still petulant and prone to lapses, no matter how hard he tries to behave in an exemplary manner. I don't think he's ready. Then again, Ponting was appointed VC of the ODI side (IIRC) not long after his drinking issues came to light. But he had plainly addressed them before that appointment.

I'm not saying Warner should never get the gig (or indeed the one above it), just I don't think he's ready at all.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If not Warner, who?

Lyon or MJ the next logical options, but Lyon needs to be available for dropping every series (plus has the team song), while MJ's coming to the twilight of his career. MMarsh could get it, but doesn't have a guaranteed spot...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Smith is a long-term captain though, not like he's old and you need to blood the VC to take over soon. Barring disaster Smith has years as captain, so naming an experienced VC is fine imo.

MJ made more sense than Warner imo. Warner could get it in a couple of years. People should not underestimate how much of a douche he is.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's an appalling appointment. Warner has a long history of terrible behaviour going back even to Grade cricket. Whilst some of those excesses have been reined in, he is still petulant and prone to lapses, no matter how hard he tries to behave in an exemplary manner. I don't think he's ready. Then again, Ponting was appointed VC of the ODI side (IIRC) not long after his drinking issues came to light. But he had plainly addressed them before that appointment.

I'm not saying Warner should never get the gig (or indeed the one above it), just I don't think he's ready at all.
I need to work the word appalling into more posts. Note to self.

If not Warner, who?

Lyon or MJ the next logical options, but Lyon needs to be available for dropping every series (plus has the team song), while MJ's coming to the twilight of his career. MMarsh could get it, but doesn't have a guaranteed spot...
Lyon or MJ are equally qualified. Either one will do. Probably the spinner since it doesn't really matter if he underbowls himself as much as Mitch underbowling himself if called upon to captain.

Smith is a long-term captain though, not like he's old and you need to blood the VC to take over soon. Barring disaster Smith has years as captain, so naming an experienced VC is fine imo.

MJ made more sense than Warner imo. Warner could get it in a couple of years. People should not underestimate how much of a douche he is.
QFT

Flem274*

123/5
i dunno, the new australian vice captain is a bit thick, a bit douchey but an excellent test opener. the old vice captain pre-smith was a bit thick, very douchey and a thoroughly overrated and mediocre wicket keeper batsman who couldn't bat or catch away from the protecting arms of mother straya.

warner is an upgrade.

burr

State Vice-Captain
The big issue is the captaincy and Smith imo. We're all just assuming/hoping he'll continue to score runs but I could imagine a big form slump. He's only 26. I don't like my Australian test captains this young. Last one was Hughes and looked how that worked out. Basically, Clarkey: don't go!!!

i dunno, the new australian vice captain is a bit thick, a bit douchey but an excellent test opener. the old vice captain pre-smith was a bit thick, very douchey and a thoroughly overrated and mediocre wicket keeper batsman who couldn't bat or catch away from the protecting arms of mother straya.

warner is an upgrade.
:laugh:

The big issue is the captaincy and Smith imo. We're all just assuming/hoping he'll continue to score runs but I could imagine a big form slump. He's only 26. I don't like my Australian test captains this young. Last one was Hughes and looked how that worked out. Basically, Clarkey: don't go!!!
I think Clarke could retire and still be captain. All that needs to happen is for Channel 9 to mic a player up on the pitch, who relays the captain's instructions from the commentary box. This means that the captain can get beneficial input from the tv analysts and the viewers will have at least one more commentator paying attention to the cricket that they're commentating on. Some will think that will then make one commentator. Others will think two or three.

The rules may prohibit this at the moment, but if coaches can send out instructions to the field, then what difference does it really make? It will make for interesting tours to countries that channel 9 does not send a commentary team too.

While I jest to a certain degree, I am more serious about the role of coaches sending out instructions as matches are played and how that limits or could limit the responsibilities of a captain. Its more than coaches sending out a night watchman or pinch hitter these days in international cricket.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!

warner is an upgrade.
And the vice captain before that was a bit thick, bit douchey and mediocre batting all-rounder/opener/whatever.