• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Twenty20 world cup should be 16 teams, 4 groups of 4. Then quarters, semis etc

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The current system is convoluted and weird. It doesn't feel like a World cup by having a qualifying stage mid cup and **** and then the Super 10 and stuff.

This format would be too short for a 50 over world cup but suits the short form fine. Every team gets at least 3 games, it's even and fair.

2 top 8 teams spread into each group.

Zim, Bang, Ireland and Afghanistan in each group

Netherlands, Scotland/UAE/Kenya/PNG/Nepal/Hong Kong to make up the numbers.

Gives the minnows a slim chance of qualifying to the final 8, but no matter how you structure one of these it'l always be hard(and rightly so) for them to make the final 8

Seems like the perfect format to try a 16 team tournament since they're keen of cutting the 50 over variant to 10 teams or whatever

CzechMikey

Cricket Spectator
Good idea but giving that we saw how India insisted on playing 9 games in 2019 they (or any of the other big nations) would never vote in through. That format would work perfectly in the Olympics and if the Icc does apply for Olympic status and do the T20 World Cup in its current format two years before and after that would work as well.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Good idea but giving that we saw how India insisted on playing 9 games in 2019 they (or any of the other big nations) would never vote in through. That format would work perfectly in the Olympics and if the Icc does apply for Olympic status and do the T20 World Cup in its current format two years before and after that would work as well.
wot?

CzechMikey

Cricket Spectator
I thought that was one of the main reasons for the format change. Somebody told me that was the reason, however no matter how true that is (it's also much easier for any of the big teams to get larger TV revenues for the new format) there is still no way that format would be voted through as less games for England, Australia and India means less money for the ICC.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I thought that was one of the main reasons for the format change. Somebody told me that was the reason, however no matter how true that is (it's also much easier for any of the big teams to get larger TV revenues for the new format) there is still no way that format would be voted through as less games for England, Australia and India means less money for the ICC.
As far as we know currently, it's Giles Clarke pushing for the format.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The current system is convoluted and weird. It doesn't feel like a World cup by having a qualifying stage mid cup and **** and then the Super 10 and stuff.
I thought this before the last tournament, but I actually think it worked surprisingly well. I still wouldn't mind the swap to what you're saying, but as long as they don't move the qualifying tournament to a different part of the calender or a different country, or worse still decide not to bother televising it, then I'm pretty cool with it staying as it is.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They want as many as possible of the major nations playing each. 4 groups then straight knockout ensures exactly the opposite.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Um wot. Obviously I know the difference between 32 & 16. Try and think about what I meant

Niall

International Coach
No issue with the above idea, 4 groups, 4 teams would be fine as well.

Ten team world cup is bollocks and not a world cup whatsoever.

Niall

International Coach
As far as we know currently, it's Giles Clarke pushing for the format.
Its the BCCI as well as Clarke. Clarke and Srini are vile, and deserve to be criticised non stop over it, but sadly not many other nations are really opposing the move.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Its the BCCI as well as Clarke. Clarke and Srini are vile, and deserve to be criticised non stop over it, but sadly not many other nations are really opposing the move.
I dunno. The BCCI has always been madly in love with knockouts. Hence the ICC knockout trophy in '98 and the quarterfinals format in WC '96 and '11.