• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test rankings watch

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
As of today the rankings are:

South Africa 24 3008 125
Australia 26 2894 111
Pakistan 24 2419 101
New Zealand 29 2875 99
India 23 2242 97
England 30 2920 97
Sri Lanka 25 2307 92
West Indies 26 2101 81
Bangladesh 22 1026 47
Zimbabwe 10 53 5

This is set to change a bit with England having won the Ashes going into game 5 and India starting well away in Sri Lanka. In upcoming months we have big series such as England "away" to Pakistan and South Africa, South Africa to India, and two NZ-Australia series. I think it is interesting to watch how the rankings unfold.
For instance, I see that if England wins the final test to win 4-1 they will jump to no2 in the world.

I thought it would be good to look at how these rankings change over the next few months and years.

For anyone who doesn't use the rankings predictor, here is the link:

ICC Ranking Predictor - Test Ranking Predictor | ICC Cricket

What do you see happening? Predictions?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The difference between home and away is becoming so pronounced now that it's poor not to factor it into the system.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The difference between home and away is becoming so pronounced now that it's poor not to factor it into the system.
Yeah, almost the away goals counting double rule from football could count here. So few away wins and they deserve more reward.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The second half of the year is going to be such an exciting time for test cricket.

The Ashes coming to an end, India- SL series, England-Pakistan, then India-South Africa and then finally England-SA and Aus-NZ.

It will be really interesting to track the rankings over the next couple of months.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have my own version that does and it's not really all that different in terms of how it comes out. It basically just rearranges the really close four in the middle.

Code:
1	South Africa	283.33
2	Australia	265.00
3	England		210.75
4	India		209.25
5	Pakistan	205.00
6	New Zealand	198.33
7	Sri Lanka	176.67
8	West Indies	134.17
9	Bangladesh	 67.50
10	Zimbabwe	 50.00

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
England is about to go to no2 regardless of who wins or a draw in the final SL-India game. If it is a draw SL and India stay the same, but if SL wins they go to 6th and India 7th. Conversely if India they move ahead of NZ to no 5, with NZ 6 and SL 7th. If that happens it will be tough on the side with the longest unbeaten run.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
What happens if India beat SA 4-0?
The best that India can achieve is no. 2 unless England draws (or wins) series in SA.

India can achieve no. 2 by winning 3-1 also, but for that either Bangladesh or NZ needs to draw (or win) series against Aus. My hope is on Bangladesh.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like South Africa are going to be humbled 3-0 which will see them on 114 to India's 111. If England wins in South Africa either Australia or India will take top spot. South Africa's lead look fairly insurmountable not long ago. The Llong-Lyon howler may prove crucial to the world rankings.It also means that Australia will remain ahead of NZ even if NZ clean sweeps the return leg (provided Australia beats the WI).