• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test rankings watch

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So apparently if Pak beat Eng in the next test and Australia don't win in Colombo and India don't win both tests left against the Windies, Pak will become #1. I think it could probably happen. ☺

Flem274*

123/5
weren't south africa number one about two minutes ago before some rude shouty country took it off them?

that's a brutal fall. no wonder kepler is so salty in the commentator box lately.

Motorwada

Banned
I've been playing around with the predictor as it looks like Australia will lose their no.1 spot after their loss in Sri Lanka. India are well placed to take it if they win 3-0 in the WI, but England can nick it by beating Pakistan too.

Strangely the most likely thing to knock India off the top is - and I'm getting this entirely from the predictor - is if South Africa beat New Zealand at home.

If the current series pan out as the bookie's favourite scores, which are SL 3-0 Australia, England 3-1 Pakistan and WI 3-0 India then the table looks like this

1. India 112
2. England 112
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. NZ 98
6. SL 95
7. SA 92

But then if South Africa beat New Zealand at home 2-0 then the table looks like this

1. England 112
2. India 109
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. SA 98
6. SL 95
7. NZ 94

So, um, what gives?
No India will still be no 1. It is a problem with the way the predictor is coded. After you have slid the SA-NZ to 2-0 the next series which is Ind-NZ gets "Activated". Since you haven't slid it, it considers it as 0-0.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
India are about to embark on a run of 13 test home tests, so you'd think at the end of that they "should" have secured the No1 spot and have a bit of a cushion at the top.
This. Have been saying this since the schedule was made public.

I don't see India losing a single series this season and they are the only team I see doing that. Every other team can potentially lose at least a single series.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So just played around with the ranking a little bit

Even if Pakistan win in New Zealand and Australia, they are still number 2 :(

This sucks

Victor Ian

International Coach
I don't know. I just played around and if England can pull out a win and only lose 2-1 and Pakistan whitewashes New Zealand and Australia they come out on top. Keep the faith!

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So just played around with the ranking a little bit

Even if Pakistan win in New Zealand and Australia, they are still number 2 :(

This sucks
Notionally most people will accept them as No. 1 if they can avoid defeat in those two series. Pakistan can't ask for a better opportunity to correct their appalling recent record in Australia. Saying that, I feel Australia will come out extra hard at them and win convincingly. It's just the way Test cricket seems to be at the moment, all topsy-turvy.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know. I just played around and if England can pull out a win and only lose 2-1 and Pakistan whitewashes New Zealand and Australia they come out on top. Keep the faith!
Ok that's pushing it.

I had India-England at 3-1

Pakistan-New Zealand 1-0
Pakistan-Australia 2-1

And that's me being overly optimistic

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Very fair chance that Pak will cop it from an Aussie side licking their wounds... I think NZ have a good shot at beating them too. But so do Pak of beating both these sides. I love international test cricket at the moment. :) Even though everyone seems to be a familiar conditions bully, its still fun to work out all such permutations and combinations knowing that all of these results are equally possible.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Very fair chance that Pak will cop it from an Aussie side licking their wounds... I think NZ have a good shot at beating them too. But so do Pak of beating both these sides. I love international test cricket at the moment. :) Even though everyone seems to be a familiar conditions bully, its still fun to work out all such permutations and combinations knowing that all of these results are equally possible.
That is exactly my concern too :(

Slifer

International Captain
Tbh for me, if Pakistan can win in NZ and not be absolutely thumped in Australia then I'd be very impressed and have them as number 1, no matter what the rankings say. Needless to say, if pakistan win or draw in Australia see above

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
There has to be a better way to decide this, that the current scenario whereby one team is number one for thirty seconds, displaced because 'x' beat Bangladesh!!

Has anyone seen the retroactive test rankings?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
There has to be a better way to decide this, that the current scenario whereby one team is number one for thirty seconds, displaced because 'x' beat Bangladesh!!
Yeah there is...........to have an Aus or WI dominate for a decade or more.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
What is the minimum SA have to do in these next two home series against India and Australia to get to number 1?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Beat India 3-0 and Australia 4-0 if they want to be number 1 by this season.. Even if they remain 2 by the end of this season, if they win both series by say 2-1 each, they would have reduced the gap with India considerably and then if India lose the series in England and lose more points, South Africa should go past them,

Because SA is number 2, India won't lose a lot of points losing the series against them.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Well, obviously SA will be number one if they win 3-0 and 4-0 and India lose against England, but I was asking what was the minimum they have to do to get there. I want to know how much leeway and margin for error they have.

Dendarii

International Debutant
If South Africa beat India 2-0 then they'll need to beat Australia 4-0. If they beat India 3-0 then beating Australia 2-0, 3-0, 3-1, or 4-0 will do it. I don't think any other combinations will work.

Last edited: