• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test rankings watch

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
weren't they involved in team selection? and isn't the captain partially responsible for the brand of bowling the bowler is asked to bowl?
Pujara and Ashwin were dropped by Kohli and Shastri. They should never have been dropped at the first place. They deserve 100% credit for their own revival - except maybe in Pujara's case Dravid deserves some credit as India A coach (though I personally don't think Pujara has necessarily become a better batsman after the dropping - he was always as good imo) and in Ashwin's case Bharat Arun the bowling coach. And no, Kohli doesn't tell Ashwin how to bowl - because Ashwin knows 100 times more about off-spin bowling and if Kohli says something Ashwin will reply with a few such jargons that Kohli will have to spend days to understand by reading some books lol. Ashwin also pretty much sets his own field these days.

Kohli deserves credit for Yadav though - he backed Yadav through the tough time. That's something Dhoni would never do for a fast bowler.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just think Kohli is the kind of captain a younger player would react to. All this talk of MSD not being a great captain is just hindsight crap with no ounce of truth to it. But he was the cool type of captain who rarely displayed his emotions and it was great for the side that we had, with many seniors around. But with a much younger side, and having been used to the MSD style of captaincy, I just think the younger lot react so much better to how Kohli captains the side. He is more of an "in the trenches with you blokes" captain and people, including guys like Ashwin,Ishant etc. who were around under Dhoni, just get buoyed by that kinda attitude. I just hope he can balance it like Sourav of 2000-2003 than go overboard like the Sourav of 2004-2005.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All this talk of MSD not being a great captain is just hindsight crap with no ounce of truth to it.
I don't know about that. I think he was a decent to good captain but I don't think he was a great one, at least in Tests, and that's an opinion I held right throughout his reign so it's not hindsight. I'd give him a B for management and a C for tactics.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'd probably give him a B+ or A- for management and C- or D for tactics.

His man management was pretty good given the big names he was carrying around in the team

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
The pitch argument would only hold if SA had done well during the times the pitch wasn't so bowler friendly, but the fact that they were shot out day 1 in Bangalore and then in Delhi first innings suggests that they simply weren't good enough, rather than it being because of the pitch itself.

As far as India is concerned there is no reason why they shouldn't feel proud of their achievements, regardless of what happens, test wins are not easy, and outside of that one blip against England back in 2012 where our top order was on its last legs, India have been highly impressive at home, much more so than they were back when they reached #1.

All India need to do is play 5 bowlers outside the SC and we should close out some games unlike in 2014 where we simply ran out of gas during the crucial moments. And someone PLEASE get rid of Rohit Sharma somehow... ugh.

chasingthedon

International Regular
I have my own version that does and it's not really all that different in terms of how it comes out. It basically just rearranges the really close four in the middle.

Code:
1	South Africa	283.33
2	Australia	265.00
3	England		210.75
4	India		209.25
5	Pakistan	205.00
6	New Zealand	198.33
7	Sri Lanka	176.67
8	West Indies	134.17
9	Bangladesh	 67.50
10	Zimbabwe	 50.00
I did something similar by re-running the rankings with an extra point added for an away series win; what that did was to highlight more dominant teams, as discussed at this link:-

Improving the ICC Test Team Rating System | Cricket Web

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've been playing around with the predictor as it looks like Australia will lose their no.1 spot after their loss in Sri Lanka. India are well placed to take it if they win 3-0 in the WI, but England can nick it by beating Pakistan too.

Strangely the most likely thing to knock India off the top is - and I'm getting this entirely from the predictor - is if South Africa beat New Zealand at home.

If the current series pan out as the bookie's favourite scores, which are SL 3-0 Australia, England 3-1 Pakistan and WI 3-0 India then the table looks like this

1. India 112
2. England 112
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. NZ 98
6. SL 95
7. SA 92

But then if South Africa beat New Zealand at home 2-0 then the table looks like this

1. England 112
2. India 109
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. SA 98
6. SL 95
7. NZ 94

So, um, what gives?

Howe_zat

Audio File
The good news is that this to and fro might get settled for a while on the result India v England in the winter - and we have previous in playing India for the top ranking

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've been playing around with the predictor as it looks like Australia will lose their no.1 spot after their loss in Sri Lanka. India are well placed to take it if they win 3-0 in the WI, but England can nick it by beating Pakistan too.

Strangely the most likely thing to knock India off the top is - and I'm getting this entirely from the predictor - is if South Africa beat New Zealand at home.

If the current series pan out as the bookie's favourite scores, which are SL 3-0 Australia, England 3-1 Pakistan and WI 3-0 India then the table looks like this

1. India 112
2. England 112
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. NZ 98
6. SL 95
7. SA 92

But then if South Africa beat New Zealand at home 2-0 then the table looks like this

1. England 112
2. India 109
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. SA 98
6. SL 95
7. NZ 94

So, um, what gives?
Holy ****, South Africa 7th? It doesn't seem that long ago they were about 25 points ahead of 2nd.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Holy ****, South Africa 7th? It doesn't seem that long ago they were about 25 points ahead of 2nd.
The old points dropping off must have killed them. I remember a similar thing happening to England around 2008 (though we weren't at top spot at that point of course)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The old points dropping off must have killed them. I remember a similar thing happening to England around 2008 (though we weren't at top spot at that point of course)
Think SA lost winning against us when we were number one, and winning in Australia and New Zealand. Think they beat Sri Lanka at home that year too so four series wins lost.

Yeah I imagine us losing 2004 and 2004/05 must've been an absolute killer rankings wise.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
India are about to embark on a run of 13 test home tests, so you'd think at the end of that they "should" have secured the No1 spot and have a bit of a cushion at the top.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

1. India 112
2. England 112
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. NZ 98
6. SL 95
7. SA 92

1. England 112
2. India 109
3. Australia 108
4. Pakistan 105
5. SA 98
6. SL 95
7. NZ 94

So, um, what gives?
Strange that, my predictor shows NZ at number 1 after beating SA & India away and Pakistan and SA at home.