• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Ireland and England 2015 (limited overs)

ImpatientLime

International Regular
What he will never be is an economical bowler in OD stuff. But unless administrators make some changes away from the ridiculously batting weighted format, not many all rounders will be. What I think the general consensus is that he's just too good a raw player to leave out considering how gash the England OD team has been for decades. I know his form was different in the English off season but every Australian I talked to or read articles from was just gobsmacked that England didn't take him to the world cup and banked on blokes like James Taylor.
yeah, mad taking a bloke with the best list a record in the country to a world cup.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Hales
Roy
Root
Morgan*
Stokes
Buttler+
Billings
Rashid
Jordan/Willey
Wood/Plunkett
Finn

Is how they will line up I reckon. Not sure how Jordan's fitness is doing, IIRC he's missed a lot of cricket for Sussex recently.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is Willey really one of the top three one day seamers in the country?

I see him more as competition for Stokes than a #9 bowler

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think he legitimately is one of the England's best T20 bowlers but it's probably not quite true in one day cricket.

Still, there aren't exactly many good alternatives. I'd pick Anderson, Broad, Finn and Woakes ahead of him but Anderson and Broad will most likely (definitely, in Anderson's case) be rested and while Woakes has improved his LO bowling a lot, he's still not exactly awesome at it. I'd probably throw Wood in as well but I haven't seen him bowl much in LO cricket, and I don't think there's really any upside to picking Jordan or Plukett ahead of Willey.

England's bowlers as a general rule are unreliable bowlers but handy batsmen so I'd be really tempted to leave out Billings or Roy and play an extra one.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
James Taylor is a better list A batsman than Ben Stokes. I don't care what Australians you spoke to but Stokes didn't deserve to go to the world cup and even he admits it was the kick up the arse he needed to work harder at his game.

]

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wood will be in the ODI team I am pretty sure, Willey as well probably.
Oh yeah I'm sure he will be; I'm just not willing to put my neck out and say I agree with it yet because I haven't really seen him bowl much with the white ball. His List A record over a handful of games is decent enough without being awesome, but skiddy, slightly erratic, full, primarily reserve swing bowlers don't seem like ideal fits for modern ODIs to me, so I wouldn't besurprised if he bombed out a bit in this format. I'd have him ahead of Willey on bowling alone right now but without any real confidence, at least until I saw him bowl with the white ball more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd definitely have Willey in the team. Has all the tools to be a really gun limited overs cricketer.

Also no way in hell I'd be playing Root. Needs a rest injury wise, and we need to get Taylor an actual run of games as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Davies
Moeen
Taylor
Morgan
Buttler
Billings
Willey
Rashid
Jordan/Topley/some other seamer
Wood
Finn

Is how I'd be going.

Watson33

U19 12th Man

I see him more as competition for Stokes than a #9 bowler
No but England seem to like to select 2 out and out seamers and then one reasonably decent seamer who can tonk the ball at 9. Willey fits into that role. If Jordan is fit I expect him to play ahead of Willey though. Woakes might be another shout, bat him at 8 and slot Rashid in at 9.

FBU

International Debutant
Wood be definitely be rested.
Bowling in the last 18 months
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
including the Aussies
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Look at the economy of Starc, Johnson, Hazelwood, all under 5 while England bowlers high 5s and 6s.
Dernbach was dropped because of his high economy but it seems now England have the batsmen to get the high scores. Or have they? Against good bowling I wonder. NZ ended up playing out of sorts Southee, and fairly new Wheeler, Mathieson, and Henry.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
I would keep Hales in, and Davies should play but won't. Taylor in for Root is a very good idea as well.

FBU

International Debutant
1 Warner
2 Watson
3 Smith
4 Bailey
5 Marsh
6 Maxwell
7 Wade
8 Starc
9 Agar
10 Cummins
11 Pattinson

Watson33

U19 12th Man
I would keep Hales in, and Davies should play but won't. Taylor in for Root is a very good idea as well.
I'd also keep Hales in. Tbh, I would probably give Roy another series at the top of the order, but Davies isn't a bad shout to open alongside Hales.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh yeah I'm sure he will be; I'm just not willing to put my neck out and say I agree with it yet because I haven't really seen him bowl much with the white ball. His List A record over a handful of games is decent enough without being awesome, but skiddy, slightly erratic, full, primarily reserve swing bowlers don't seem like ideal fits for modern ODIs to me, so I wouldn't besurprised if he bombed out a bit in this format. I'd have him ahead of Willey on bowling alone right now but without any real confidence, at least until I saw him bowl with the white ball more.
this is what we were all saying about a certain left armer before the world cup though and now we look like dicks:ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
this is what we were all saying about a certain left armer before the world cup though and now we look like dicks:ph34r:
Nah Boult's primarily a conventional swing bowler; that's a bit different. He's also much better than Wood in general so was more likely to make what he had work.

I actually picked Boult in my squad, so speak for yourself. :p

Flem274*

123/5
he's also skiddy, slightly erratic before the UAE and bowls full tbf.

And I don't remember this at all, especially not from King Longevity and Domestic Performances :p

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly I can't see England winning any match in which we play Starc. He's ordinary in a test match attack with Johnson, but as an ODI bowler I'm not sure I've seen any better.

FBU

International Debutant
Honestly I can't see England winning any match in which we play Starc. He's ordinary in a test match attack with Johnson, but as an ODI bowler I'm not sure I've seen any better.
20/20 econ

Finn 7.15
Topley 8.36 - county
Rashid 8.50
Ali 9.00
Willey 9.42
Woakes 9.84
Stokes 10.54
Root 10.66

Starc 6.65
Cummins 6.72
Maxwell 6.94