• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who's names you used to mispronounce as a kid(or adult)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My big 3 were calling McGrath "Mah-Graff or Mah-Graph" if you will. This couldn't have lasted very long as I sure him play a bit, but like I remember a friend's dad corrected me one day when I was talking about him. I often saw him at the bottom of Austalia's batting card, but vary rarely batting. Back when I was 7 or so I much preferred watching Australia bat so might have switched off when they were bowling.

I used to think Kumble was pronounced like Bumble. So I called him Anil Kumbel essentially. Read about his exploits in a cricket magazine I had called Inside edge before ever seeing him play. They were talking up his ten fer so I assumed he was better than Warne, who I rated below MacGill :S

And lastly, one I hope a lot of people also stuffed up, Steve Tikolo. For years I called him Tick-oh-low, before hearing him called Ti-kolo and having my mind blown as an adult

Last edited: