• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saqlain Mushtaq vs Graeme Swann?

Who was the better offspinner?

• Saqie

Votes: 24 77.4%
  • Swannie

Votes: 7 22.6%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Raw test stats nearly identical.

Both averaged 29 point something, with strike rates in the 60s and economy rates under 3

Who was better?

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
both were pretty awesome

Swanny probably mentally stronger. Saqlain definitely more innovative.

Hard to choose.

91Jmay

International Coach
Swann never had the pressure of being the focal point of his team, Saqlain bowled in more favourable conditions. Very similar players, I'd possibly plump for Mushie as he bowled more destructive spells.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, manhandling Indian batting jaggernaut of late 90s on Indian soil, as a spinner is special enough. No one managed that other than Saqlain

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Saqlain for nostalgic reasons. His bowling mesmerised me. Such a champion.

Will never understand why he had such a short career. In any other team he'd have got close to 400 teset wickets IMO.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Saqlain for nostalgic reasons. His bowling mesmerised me. Such a champion.

Will never understand why he had such a short career. In any other team he'd have got close to 400 teset wickets IMO.
His knee injury coincided with worst era of PCB chairmen. Was virtually left on his own as pakistan got behind the kaneria train this was an era when we rarely played with more then one spinner.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
His knee injury coincided with worst era of PCB chairmen. Was virtually left on his own as pakistan got behind the kaneria train this was an era when we rarely played with more then one spinner.
The last few years of his career had an interesting trajectory. He was in and out a lot, when he was in he was given the same preference but then he was just as quickly left out. I also remember he had skipped a few Pak series for extended county stints. Wonder if that had anything to do with ruffling some feathers. In 2002, he was in and out a lot for inexplicable reasons because they had not yet jumped on the Kaneria train yet.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, manhandling Indian batting jaggernaut of late 90s on Indian soil, as a spinner is special enough. No one managed that other than Saqlain
Swann had a superb series in 2012 too. Admittedly, Sehwag and Tendulkar were shells of their former selves but it was still a damn good performance from Swann. Just saying you can't use that one series from Saqlain as the reason to choose him.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann had a superb series in 2012 too. Admittedly, Sehwag and Tendulkar were shells of their former selves but it was still a damn good performance from Swann. Just saying you can't use that one series from Saqlain as the reason to choose him.
I do agree about Shewag, but Tendulkar was no way the best spin player in late 90s batting jaggernut. Sidhu and Azhar were as good as Shewag, and clearly superior to SRT when came to attacking the spinners. Early version of Ganguly, I arte above Tendulkar when it comes to playing spin. The line up Swann bowled to, is a shadow of what hit Warne and Murali like a tornado, but ripped apart in to pieces by Saqlain.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I do agree about Shewag, but Tendulkar was no way the best spin player in late 90s batting jaggernut. Sidhu and Azhar were as good as Shewag, and clearly superior to SRT when came to attacking the spinners. Early version of Ganguly, I arte above Tendulkar when it comes to playing spin. The line up Swann bowled to, is a shadow of what hit Warne and Murali like a tornado, but ripped apart in to pieces by Saqlain.
I think you are confusing being attacking vs being good. Tendulkar probably wasn't as dominating a spin player as say Lara, Sidhu, Sehwag, Azhar etc but that doesn't make him inferior necessarily, because after all, in that same 1999 series Tendulkar did hit 136 on a slow and turning pitch in the 4th innings, probably not something the likes of Azhar and Sidhu are capable of doing in all honesty. Also the thing with Tendulkar is the ridiculous pressure that he was under during the 90's, there is simply no legitimate way to account for something like that.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2012 also had Gambhir... brilliant player of spin.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Only if playing spin was only about slogging. Ask Warne and the bloke in your avatar who they found more difficult to bowl to between Sachin and Navjot Sidhu.. and I've watched all of Sidhu's innings against Warne before you start digging up cricinfo.