• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who has played the most tests without being dropped?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should clarify that I mean tests in a row. Though I don't know if Sachin was ever dropped anyway

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Border most consecutive, but the question was most tests without being dropped. It's still likely to be Border provided those ( Dravid, Chanderpaul, Kallis, Waugh, Ponting and Tendulkar ) who played more tests than he, were not only dropped, but were dropped after a few matches.

FTR, was Tendulkar ever dropped? And if so, surely it was very early on, allowing him to go more than 153 tests after that without being dropped again.

Sorry, just noticed the question was changed :p

Last edited:

mr_mister

No it's fine that still answers the question. I just didn't want people to think I meant most matches played without ever being dropped, in case Sachin was dropped once early on

morgieb

Yeah, Border most consecutive, but the question was most tests without being dropped. It's still likely to be Border provided those ( Dravid, Chanderpaul, Kallis, Waugh, Ponting and Tendulkar ) who played more tests than he, were not only dropped, but were dropped after a few matches.

FTR, was Tendulkar ever dropped? And if so, surely it was very early on, allowing him to go more than 153 tests after that without being dropped again.

Sorry, just noticed the question was changed :p
Well I know Waugh and Ponting still spent time out of the side late enough in their career (especially Waugh, it wasn't until he was 27-28 before he was undroppable). The others....less so probably, but I don't know enough about non-Australian selection policies of the 90's.

Zinzan

Well provided Tendulkar's dropping was prior to his 47th test, which I'm certain it would have been, it's him.

OverratedSanity

Neither Dravid nor Tendulkar were ever dropped from the test team by my memory. They only ever missed tests through injury or were rested.

Zinzan

Well I know Waugh and Ponting still spent time out of the side late enough in their career (especially Waugh, it wasn't until he was 27-28 before he was undroppable). The others....less so probably, but I don't know enough about non-Australian selection policies of the 90's.
Yeah & Punter was dropped for being a lad about town in his early days wasn't he?

mr_mister

I think Punter's dropping was genuinely due to poor form. Lehmann was playing really well in FC cricket IIRC. But yeah the black eye he got at a pub/club was around that time

Marius

International Debutant
Before the Bangladesh games AB de Villiers hadn't missed a Test since making his debut.

cpr

International Coach
Neither Dravid nor Tendulkar were ever dropped from the test team by my memory. They only ever missed tests through injury or were rested.
Rested is being dropped IMO. Sure players do need breaks, though Border didnt in 153 tests....

But how many boards are going to come out and say 'Were dropping your national hero because he's in poor form'. They'll say he's tired and needs a rest instead. Unless its genuine injury recovery it shouldn't be discounted

Zinzan

Rested is being dropped IMO. Sure players do need breaks, though Border didnt in 153 tests....

But how many boards are going to come out and say 'Were dropping your national hero because he's in poor form'. They'll say he's tired and needs a rest instead. Unless its genuine injury recovery it shouldn't be discounted
I wouldn't say rested is being dropped, but I would say it's not always been easy to distinguish between the 2.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't say rested is being dropped, but I would say it's not always been easy to distinguish between the 2.

There's being rested a la not playing V Bangladesh, which speaking for my own team I can think of Strauss, Broad etc.

Then there's being rested like Broad away to India in 2012 (though he was unfit, but)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar was rarely dropped from his favorite batting position, let alone being dropped from the team.