• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Alastair Cook go on to surpass Tendulkar's test run tally?

Will Cook surpass Tendulkar's test run tally?

• Yes, he's still a real chance

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Unlikely, but a slim outside chance

Votes: 19 51.4%
  • No chance at all now

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Basphemy to even pose such a question

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cook's chances are basically the same as they were in 2011, atleast for me. He does have a chance but a lot of things need to go right, and he probably needs another couple of stretches like in 2012 where he piled on hundreds for fun.

Zinzan

Nah, I'd say less than 2011. The 2 year period 2013-2014 in which he averaged just 32 in 22 test matches set him back a decent amount for mine.

OverratedSanity

Nah, I'd say less than 2011. The 2 year period 2013-2014 in which he averaged just 32 in 22 test matches set him back a decent amount for mine.
I just knew a slump would come, as it does for every batsman, so I'd factored that in already (didn't know it would come that soon after 2012 though). Many just foolishly assumed he'd keep racking them up for years on end. Him going through a slump changed nothing for me, it was always going to happen. If he has another lull like that though, he'll fall short.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We'd need to play more away Tests than we have in the last two years for it to happen. His away record is outstanding

Tendulkar averaged 79.6 runs per test.

Cook is averaging 78 runs per test.

If Cook plays enough tests, especially more in India where he averages over 60 and Bangladesh at over 100, he should take the record. Cook is a good enough batsmen if he has a long career to get the run scoring record. Plays into his 40s, he will set a higher benchmark. The biggest hurdler Cook faces is being captain. Captains can get sacked (after bad performances) or retired (to make way for a new captain) out of the team, where a player could otherwise continue playing.

I also find the most test centuries record interesting for a contest as well.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

If Cook was to play until he was a similar age as Tendulkar was when he retired he will break the record as he will be closer to 250 tests than 200 by then.

91Jmay

International Coach
I don't think he will, will be 1500 odd short I'd say. Which is still some career, especially for a bloke who isn't the natural talent of SRT, Ponting, Lara etc.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tendulkar averaged 79.6 runs per test.

Cook is averaging 78 runs per test.

If Cook plays enough tests, especially more in India where he averages over 60 and Bangladesh at over 100, he should take the record. Cook is a good enough batsmen if he has a long career to get the run scoring record. Plays into his 40s, he will set a higher benchmark. The biggest hurdler Cook faces is being captain. Captains can get sacked (after bad performances) or retired (to make way for a new captain) out of the team, where a player could otherwise continue playing.

I also find the most test centuries record interesting for a contest as well.
He's got seven in India and Bangladesh in late 2016. Needs to plunder the runs then.

Zinzan

These are all such massive if's though.
Sure, but the only relevant 'if' is whether Cook scores those further 6699 runs or not. And to provide context, he'll need to move ahead of Lara in 8th place in the below list of 'runs scorers past the age of 30' to achieve it (granted Cook is some 200 days past.).

I still think it's more unlikely than not, but it's not exactly beyond the realms either...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His biggest hurdle is going to be ambition imo. Doesn't really seem like he cares about this milestone. The only way it's going to happen is if things go very well for him, form wise and injury wise, and he just ends up playing that many tests that it's inevitable.

91Jmay

International Coach
His biggest hurdle is going to be ambition imo. Doesn't really seem like he cares about this milestone. The only way it's going to happen is if things go very well for him, form wise and injury wise, and he just ends up playing that many tests that it's inevitable.
Yeah would agree with this, think he will look to retire at end of next home Ashes if things go well.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
England are scheduled to play 21 tests till CT 2017, more specifically till end of 2016. Don't think he will make it though, he's more of a concentration player than anything else, and age will reduce his concentration levels over a period of time, will be a little bit of a Rahul Dravid type decline imo, with the odd good series/knocks.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not convinced he'll get there myself, but it seems a little harsh to be pre-emptively qualifying Cook's hypothetical achievement by noting how many Tests he will need to have played and how much more cricket he'll have needed to take the record. Virtually every batsman in history who has claimed the aggregate record has done so at least in part due to playing more Tests than the blokes who came before him.