• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI

Arthur Morris
~
Frank Woolley
Norm O'Neill
~
~
Alan Davidson
~
Harold Larwood
~

There's another player I really want, but I'm unsure if he'll last til my next pick :unsure:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was reading about him this morning in preparation for my pick, kinda thought he'd stay under the radar. o well.

kingkallis

International Coach
I will pick stylish Archie Jackson to open with WG.

CricZo XI

1. WG Grace / o
2. Archie Jackson /
4. Dudley Nourse /
6. Trevor Goddard / o
7. Mike Procter o /

watson

Banned
03. Ted Dexter
04. Denis Compton
06. John R. Reid
07. Keith Miller
09. Peter Pollock

John R Reid - explosive batsman with a bowling Economy Rate of just 2.2 in Tests. Pretty close to being a must have; especially when sitting along side Keith Miller in the batting order. Can share the 5th bowler duties with Dexter.

A super allrounder, John Reid was born a generation too soon, for he retired in 1965 before one-day international matches were started. Reid would have been a one-day team on his own - a batsman with thunderous strokes, a rapacious fielder especially at gully or cover, a bowler of what became known as right-arm bursters which ranged from modest off-cutters to snarling bouncers.

John Reid | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Couple of nice selections there. Was hoping Archie Jackson would last, could imagine him as a bit of a Mark Waugh type ODI bat.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
if he was a "must have" you would have chosen him earlier, hehe
Nah. He is winning the draft. He has picked great players and now in round 5 he has picked a must-have round 2 or 3 style pick.

BTW, this is a good draft idea, I wonder who would have a Slater-like poor ODI career after looking like he'd be good in the short format based on his Test performances. Is there anyone chosen so far that someone, for some reason feels like a particular player couldn't adapt to ODIs?

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. He is winning the draft. He has picked great players and now in round 5 he has picked a must-have round 2 or 3 style pick.

BTW, this is a good draft idea, I wonder who would have a Slater-like poor ODI career after looking like he'd be good in the short format based on his Test performances. Is there anyone chosen so far that someone, for some reason feels like a particular player couldn't adapt to ODIs?

I feel like another watson pick, Denis Compton, could well have been Slater-esque (he could also have been AbdV-esque though, so who knows?) I reckon if he were to succeed as an ODI batsman, he'd do it as an opener though. With his running between the wickets he could be far less valuable than another batsman of his quality and stature at #4

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Jack Cowie.

Wisden said that not only was he "a first-rate fast-medium bowler, but a bowler equal to anyone of his type in present-day cricket." It went on: "Some of Cowie's colleagues who had played with or against him in New Zealand were surprised at the pace off the pitch which he obtained on English wickets. A player with an enormous capacity for work, who seemed impervious to fatigue and was accurate in length and direction, he often bowled a vicious off-break and, as he could also make the ball 'lift' and swing away, he was a bowler to be feared."

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I feel like another watson pick, Denis Compton, could well have been Slater-esque (he could also have been AbdV-esque though, so who knows?) I reckon if he were to succeed as an ODI batsman, he'd do it as an opener though. With his running between the wickets he could be far less valuable than another batsman of his quality and stature at #4
I was wondering the same about Harvey, whether it would be good to have him open. Though can't really decide. Pollock should be at home at #3.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
It's surprising how much 'One Day Single Innings' cricket (as it used to be called) the old timers used to play; especially from the 1950s onwards. If you want to check a player then just go to their 'Miscellaneous' matches on the 'Cricketarchive' website.

The Home of CricketArchive

Compton did his fair share of One Day cricket, and admittedly his scores weren't too flash on some of the scorecards I looked at. But the odd quick 50 reassured me enough to pick him.

Btw I do have an opinion on who is carving up the Draft so far, and it's not me.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's weird though. Say if Sehwag had never played an ODI in his career and people only saw his test career, everyone would've thought he'd probably have been the greatest ODI batsman ever. Didn't turn out that way though did it?

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Round 1
J_C - Barry Richards
watson - Keith Miller
kingkallis - Mike Procter
AldoRaine18 - Graeme Pollock
Zinzan - Wally Hammond
Morgieb - Bill O'Reilly
mr_mister - Stan McCabe
Red Hill - Harold Larwood
schearzie - Ray Lindwall
Pothas - S.F. Barnes
Agent TBY - Sir Clyde Walcott
OverratedSanity - Victor Trumper

Round 2
OverratedSanity - Gilbert Jessop
Agent TBY - Aubrey Faulkner
Pothas - George Headley
schearzie - Jack Gregory
Red Hill - Alan Davidson
mr_mister - Clarie Grimmett
Morgieb - Frank Worrell
Zinzan - Fred Trueman
AldoRaine18 - Neil Harvey
kingkallis - WG Grace
watson - Ted Dexter
J_C - Charles Macartney

Round 3
mr_mister - Len Hutton
Pothas - Richie Benaud
Zinzan - Everton Weekes
J_C - Wes Hall
Red Hill - Frank Woolley
AldoRaine18 - Jack Hobbs
watson - Denis Compton
Morgieb - Monty Noble
schearzie- Bill Ponsford
OverratedSanity- Les Ames
kingkallis- Dudley Nourse
Agent TBY- Clem Hill

Round 4

Agent TBY- Maurice Tate
kingkallis- Trevor Goddard
OverratedSanity- Jim Laker
schearzie- Denis Lindsay
Morgieb- Brian Statham
watson- Peter Pollock
AldoRaine18- Learie Constantine
Red Hill - Arthur Morris
J_C - Peter May
Zinzan - Hedley Verity
Pothas - KS Ranjitsinhji
mr_mister - Alec Bedser

Round 5

J_C - Hugh Tayfield
schearzie - Fazal Mahmood
Morgieb - Herb Sutcliffe
Red Hill - Norm O'Neill
kingkallis - Archie Jackson
watson - John R. Reid
OverratedSanity - Frank Tyson
AldoRaine18 - Jack Cowie
Pothas
Agent TBY
mr_mister
Zinzan

Round 6

Zinzan
mr_mister
Agent TBY
Pothas
AldoRaine18
OverratedSanity
watson
kingkallis
Red Hill
Morgieb
schearzie
J_C

Round 7

Red Hill
kingkallis
J_C
AldoRaine18
Pothas
schearzie
watson
OverratedSanity
Zinzan
Morgieb
mr_mister
Agent TBY

Round 8

Agent TBY
mr_mister
Morgieb
Zinzan
OverratedSanity
watson
schearzie
Pothas
AldoRaine18
J_C
kingkallis
Red Hill

Round 9

J_C
schearzie
Zinzan
mr_mister
kingkallis
Agent TBY
AldoRaine18
OverratedSanity
Red Hill
Morgieb
watson
Pothas

Round 10

Pothas
watson
Morgieb
Red Hill
OverratedSanity
AldoRaine18
Agent TBY
kingkallis
mr_mister
Zinzan
schearzie
J_C

Round 11

Pothas
Agent TBY
J_C
watson
OverratedSanity
Zinzan
Morgieb
Red Hill
kingkallis
mr_mister
schearzie
AldoRaine18

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
03. Ted Dexter
04. Denis Compton
06. John R. Reid
07. Keith Miller
09. Peter Pollock

John R Reid - explosive batsman with a bowling Economy Rate of just 2.2 in Tests. Pretty close to being a must have; especially when sitting along side Keith Miller in the batting order. Can share the 5th bowler duties with Dexter.
Wonderful pick, was hoping he'd survive another round. You couldn't find a player from the past anymore suited to ODIs than Reid would be. Pretty sure he hit around 40 test sixes as well, in the days that hitting 6s was rare as hens teeth.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's weird though. Say if Sehwag had never played an ODI in his career and people only saw his test career, everyone would've thought he'd probably have been the greatest ODI batsman ever. Didn't turn out that way though did it?
Yeah for sure and we are all guessing to a certain extent but pretty much all great test players have been at least very good ODI players. Made the first couple of rounds of this quite uncomplicated for me, you have to think about it a lot more at this stage.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Had an eye of Johnston as well, but decided to go with Cowie. Couple of things like him usually being likened to Hadlee in terms of style, who we all know is a class ODI bowler as well as him being a batsman to start with, which adds to the batting depth as well.

01. Jack Hobbs
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Neil Harvey
07. Baron Constantine
08. Jack Cowie

Think I've added alright names so far, a couple of top tier fielders, a bit of X factor, a bit of reliability, but very tricky from here on out. Particularly chuffed for getting Constantine and hope he gets a bit of credit, one of the first men to preach the typical Windies style of playing, he'll be a right showman in the shorter game, imo. Somewhat Symonds-esque.