• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God I don't get a pick for a long while after this, so I'm getting an ATG opener.

Len Hutton. There's the other H and his opening partner still floating around.... as well as a really good Keeping choice, but I just checked and there's enough solid keepers going around for everyone so I'm going to pinch Hutton. Chose the other H in the last draft and want a bit of variation between teams. He was criticised for batting slow but really he wasn't that much slower than his contemporaries going by viriya's website, which has come in handy :)

He could speed up the pace when it was necessary like all great batsmen and was apparently batting rapidly just before the war. Anyway regardless he was still a run machine after it when facing Miller and Lindwall and this is useful even in ODIs, this isn't T20 cricket after all. A solid foundation/anchor for the team, I'm sure he could adjust.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't actually notice all the round orders were done in advance. Shizzer bro, you are virtually always around the middle.

mr_mister

but why does being the middle matter post round 1? The middle, for better or worse made a difference for the Mixed XP draft because you constantly missed out on the cream of the crop, yet also avoided the lower tier players.

However in this one, after the initial big guns go in round 1, it's basically just keep choosing the best of the best til theres no best left.

Zinzan

Yeah fair-point, the order doesn't matter quite so much under this method. It's different if it's a specific category every round.

OverratedSanity

but why does being the middle matter post round 1? The middle, for better or worse made a difference for the Mixed XP draft because you constantly missed out on the cream of the crop, yet also avoided the lower tier players.

However in this one, after the initial big guns go in round 1, it's basically just keep choosing the best of the best til theres no best left.
and in the first 3-4 rounds I'm near the end so I miss the big guns. SHENANIGANS I DEMAND A RE-ORDER

nah jking it's k

mr_mister

you'll have chosen your 4th player while most people still have 3. It's not til round 5 imo that the stocks will severely drop.

watson

Banned
Lol OS, reverses next round, it always swings in roundabouts :p I always think being in the middle is worse if anything tbh.
What position you get on the ladder with the current set-up makes absolutely no difference when creating a team IMO. It's all about making the right selection during each round and then trusting to the whim of the voter in the eventual voting thread.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Round 3
mr_mister - Len Hutton
Pothas - Richie Benaud
Zinzan - Everton Weekes
J_C
Red Hill
AldoRaine18
watson
Morgieb
schearzie
OverratedSanity
kingkallis
Agent TBY

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Ted Dexter:

Captained Sussex against Worcestershire in the world's first ever One Day final (Gillette Cup) at Lords in 1963. Sussex won by 14 runs in a low scoring match - 168 to 154.

Here are Dexter's comments on his bowling tactics for the match:
Just stumbled upon this anecdote, this is during Ashes 1961.

During the first Test, Dexter received an anonymous letter: "If you're England's No. 3, I'm the Queen of Sheba." He scored an exquisite hundred in that match, and here in the fourth Test, with England needing 256 in just under four hours, he put them on course for a 2-1 lead. EW Swanton wrote of Dexter: "He gave one the feeling that he always wanted to be at the more difficult end."

Pothas

Richie Benaud, excellent leg spinner, aggressive batsman and would surley have made a brilliant one day captain.