• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Round 1

J_C - Barry Richards
watson - Keith Miller
kingkallis - Mike Procter
AldoRaine18 - Graeme Pollock
Zinzan - Wally Hammond
Morgieb - Bill O'Reilly
mr_mister - Stan McCabe
Red Hill - Harold Larwood
schearzie - Ray Lindwall
Pothas - S.F. Barnes
Agent TBY - Sir Clyde Walcott
OverratedSanity - Victor Trumper

Round 2

OverratedSanity - Gilbert Jessop
Agent TBY - Aubrey Faulkner
Pothas - George Headley
schearzie - Jack Gregory
Red Hill - Alan Davidson
mr_mister - Clarie Grimmett
Morgieb - Frank Worrell
Zinzan - Fred Trueman
AldoRaine18 - Neil Harvey
kingkallis
watson
J_C

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Jack Gregory - owner of the fastest ever test century. In the mould of bowling lightning fast and hitting it hard, if not as skillfully.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Alan Davidson.

...the most menacing new-ball bowler of his day, not to mention a dangerous striker in the lower-middle order, and a versatile fielder at home in all positions.
- Gideon Haigh

Sounds ideal for the ODI format :)

Red

Red Hill CC

~
~
~
~
~
~
Alan Davidson
~
~
Harold Larwood
~

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
F*cking hell. I had been hoping him to fall to me but knew 100% you would take him. Absolutely devastated!

Wonderful pick for this draft.

Red

Do quite enjoy the idea of Lol and Davo sharing the new white balls from either end with Davo strangling hell out of the opposition while Lol scares the **** out of them.

watson

Banned
Got 4 players lined-up and ready (any will do). Wouldn't mind a pick this evening luck permitting.

Nice new ball pairing btw Red Hill.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of batters are so tempting to pick, but I'll get my spinner out of the way. Clarrie Grimmett had an economy rate nearly as good as O'Reilly, so he'll do. Apparently he was a pretty accurate bowler

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Aggressive, attacking and flamboyant yet stylish as ****, a true entertainer and also known to be the best fielder of his generation. Handy off spin, not to mention. What's not to like?

Neil Harvey

Last edited by a moderator:

kingkallis

International Coach
Who else but Doctor W.G. Grace? I am sure he would provide that crazy opening any team would need. He would scare the ****t out of today's Roots and Smiths with that gaze.

CricZo XI

1. WG Grace / o
7. Mike Procter o /

watson

Banned
Ted Dexter:
There was no more exhilarating sight in English cricket than Ted Dexter when he was savaging fast bowling - WISDEN

Captained Sussex against Worcestershire in the world's first ever One Day final (Gillette Cup) at Lords in 1963. Sussex won by 14 runs in a low scoring match - 168 to 154.

Here are Dexter's comments on his bowling tactics for the match:

I told my bowlers to bowl a fuller length and straight. Any ball that wasn't going to hit the stumps was a bad ball. The same could be said of a short ball which was likely to pass over the top of the stumps. The only way that might get a batsman out was with an edge to the wicketkeeper and there are too many scoring opportunities from nudges through the area of the slips.

With the bowlers aiming at the stumps it was my job to set the field according to the batsman. But I felt if you bowled the ball in the same place all the time it was the best way to stop batsmen scoring because you could set a field accordingly.

Last edited: