• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Test-only players ODI Draft

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Red Hill XI

Arthur Morris
~
Frank Woolley (5)
Norm O'Neill
SF Jackson * (5)
~
Alan Davidson (2)
Hugh Trumble (4)
Harold Larwood (1)
~

kingkallis

International Coach
Batsmen are going fast so time to pick my No.5., Colin Bland.

CricZo XI

1. WG Grace / o (5)
2. Archie Jackson /
4. Dudley Nourse /
5. Colin Bland / o (6)
6. Trevor Goddard / o (3)
7. Mike Procter o / (2)
11. Fred Spofforth o (1)

Bulawayo-born Colin Bland will go down in cricket history as one of the greatest cover fielders. He combined speed, perfect balance and a quite exceptional throwing arm, and thrilled spectators and intimidated opposing batsmen in equal measure. Even in the modern era, when outstanding fielders are more commonplace, Bland would have stood out. In 1967-68 Bland smashed 197 in three hours for Rhodesia against Border in a low-scoring match on a poor wicket which highlighted his class. He was also a very useful medium-fast right-arm bowler who was probably underused.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Round 7
Red Hill - Hugh Trumble
kingkallis - Colin Bland
J_C
AldoRaine18
Pothas
schearzie
watson
OverratedSanity
Zinzan
Morgieb
mr_mister
Agent TBY

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I'll inject some fire in the bowling attack, to go with Cowie's accuracy. Ted McDonald.

01. Jack Hobbs
03. Graeme Pollock
04. Vijay Hazare
05. Neil Harvey
07. Baron Constantine
08. Jack Cowie
10. Ted McDonald

Bit of a reshuffle in the batting order. Hazare's stability should be nice for a number 4 sandwiched between Pollock and Harvey. Harvey would be good to have towards the end of the innings as well.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jock Cameron. Going for the old classic of a keeper opener and sounds like he will fit the bill.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Johnny Tyldesley
There were few batsmen more attractive to watch than John Tyldesley. He was exceptionally quick on his feet and so always appeared to have plenty of time in which to make his strokes. Essentially a batsman of enterprise, when he went forward to the ball it was nearly always to hit. He also possessed a very strong defence and had at his command practically all the strokes in the game. His ability to adapt himself to circumstances was emphasised in a Test match at The Oval in 1905, when Armstrong, bowling well outside the leg-stump with an offbreak, reduced to impotence a number of batsmen, but not Tyldesley, who drew back and cut him. One of the best of outfieldsmen, he was very fast, picked the ball up cleanly, and had a very accurate return, in addition to being a very sure catch.
CricInfo

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Scheep Herd
2. Bill Ponsford
3. Johnny Tyldesley
4. Stewie Dempster
6. Denis Lindsay+
7. Jack Gregory
8. Ray Lindwall
10. Fazal Mahmood

watson

Banned
Charlie Griffith - someone to bowl 140 kph yorkers at the 'death'.

02. Eddie Barlow
03. Ted Dexter
04. Denis Compton
06. John R. Reid
07. Keith Miller
09. Peter Pollock
10. Charlie Griffith

His deadly yorker -- "I can produce it at will" -- proved virtually unplayable and he finished the tour with 37 more wickets than Sobers, the next most successful West Indian bowler.

Wisden - Charlie Griffith

And then, there was Charlie Griffith: tall, muscular, massive and oozing power – the meanest of them all. A career of 94 wickets from 28 Tests at 28.54 is impressive enough, but it does not tell the complete story. It does not tell the way how Griffith, in unison with fellow Barbadian Hall, had intimidated batsmen all over the world with pace. Neither does it tell how lethal Griffith’s toe-crushing yorkers were, or how ruthless his bouncers were.

Charlie Griffith: Dreaded fast bowler from the island that produced some of finest pacemen in cricket history - Latest Cricket News, Articles & Videos at CricketCountry.com

My first recollection of the yorker being used not just as an occasional variation but as a mainstream delivery was by the fearsome West Indies fast bowler Charlie Griffith, while Ted Dexter, at the very outset, was the first to realise its value in one-day cricket. Then, spectacularly, came Joel Garner, a giant who, towards the end of an innings, was simply unhittable - Mike Selvey

Yorker back to keep batsmen on the hop - Cricket - Sport - theage.com.au

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
in preparation for my pick i started reading about heaps of 'lesser known' quickies (though only lesser known to me, I doubt any of my choices will be unknown players to the CW regulars) and I can now say I have a much better knowledge of pre WW2 cricket. I feel proud!

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Round 7
Red Hill - Hugh Trumble
kingkallis - Colin Bland
J_C - Tom Richardson
AldoRaine18 - Ted McDonald
Pothas - Jock Cameron
schearzie - Johnny Tyldesley
watson - Charlie Griffith
OverratedSanity - Vijay Merchant
Zinzan