• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing Selector, West Indies ATG ODI XI: 2 opening batsman?

Choose 2 openers

• Shivnarine Chanderpaul

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherwin Campbell

• Johnson Charles

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of great players trying to fit into 2 spots. Lara and Shiv performed well enough at the top to warrant a chance at selection. Both will feature in the middle order poll if they miss out here(duh)

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah, the only case there exists for not selecting Gayle here is if people intend to select Sobers on the back of his 1 ODI.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll go for Greenidge(basically a lock) and Haynes (coz I always remembered the trivia of who scored the most hundreds in ODi cricket. It was Haynes for a long, long time).

Howe_zat

Audio File
SHERWIN CAMPBELL STAT

He is the player with the most ODIs to have been dismissed in every ODI innings he played

END OF SHERWIN CAMPBELL STATS

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
*Minimum 25 matches.
Yeah, the only case there exists for not selecting Gayle here is if people intend to select Sobers on the back of his 1 ODI.
Unlikely.

I'd be happy to take the 1979 World Cup winning side and tinker a little.

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Kallicharran - replace with Lara
Lloyd
King - replace with Gayle
Murray - replace with Dujon
Holding
Garner
Roberts
Croft - replace with Ambrose or Marshall

It means getting 10 overs out of Lloyd, Richards and Gayle. Lloyd was a handy bowler up to the mid 70's but rarely bowled after for physical reasons. I don't think Richards would be too successful bowling in the modern age but you might get away with it given the rest of the attack.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll go for Greenidge(basically a lock) and Haynes (coz I always remembered the trivia of who scored the most hundreds in ODi cricket. It was Haynes for a long, long time).
I think he also held the record for most runs in ODIs for a long time till Tendulkar broke it. The best trump card he was.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Good old days when Haynes' 8,000 something runs and 17 centuries seemed insurmountable.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Please select Haynes here and Gayle at no. 6. That will be better than selecting Gayle here and then a random batsman at no. 6.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IIRC the second best was 11 centuries when Haynes had his 17. Does anyone know when exactly Haynes made his 12th, because it took Tendulkar just 4 years since Haynes retired to overhaul the 17.