• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Playing selector, yet again: ATG West Indies ODI XI (Home thread)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i felt like doing one more of these bad boys, with a bit of a twist, an ODI XI. I feel a test XI for this team would be far too straight forward.

Will conduct the following polls over the next few days:

2 opening batsmen
3 bowlers
3 middle order batsmen
1 wicketkeeper
1 all rounder

1 leftover/utility to round out the 11. The wicketkeeper can also be an opening batsman, obviously. But I doubt Ridley Jacobs and Courtney Browne have done enough to warrant a place here :blink:

*Minimum 25 matches.

This excludes some big names such as Sobers, Gibbs, Kanhai, Fredericks, Sylvester & Croft

Last edited:
i felt like doing one more of these bad boys, with a bit of a twist, an ODI XI. I feel a test XI for this team would be far too straight forward.

Will conduct the following polls over the next few days:

2 opening batsmen
3 bowlers
3 middle order batsmen
1 wicketkeeper
1 all rounder

1 leftover/utility to round out the 11. The wicketkeeper can also be an opening batsman, obviously. But I doubt Ridley Jacobs and Courtney Browne have done enough to warrant a place here :blink:

*Minimum 10 matches.
You have problems with your criteria.

You have assumed that the all rounder, Gayle, is not an opener. You have assumed that there will be three bowlers and an all rounder.

Viv Richards and Chris Gayle could well bowl the final ten overs mon. Then pick four quicks including Garner and Ambrose. Possibly Marshall/Roberts and Holding to round out will be the most popular.

Even if Greenidge plays ahead of Gayle with Haynes, then Viv could bowl with 4 quicks. But Viv will almost certainly be voted in the middle order. An all rounder may be chosen at 8, but I suspect most people for a West Indies ATG team will want 4 pace spear heads.

Carl Hooper will struggle to make the team with Lloyd and Lara playing alongside each other.

1 Haynes/Greendidge
2 Gayle /Greenidge/Haynes
3 Chanderpaul/Richardson
4 Lara
5 Richards
6 LLoyd
7 +
8 Marshall/Roberts
9 Holding
10 Ambrose
11 Garner

Is the sort of team structure that I think you will find the voters pick. Dujon's ODI record is ordinary.

You cannot presuppose the team structure in the manner that you propose to do so. It needs to be far more dynamic.

Last edited:

mr_mister

No, I have assumed Gayle, the opener, is not an all-rounder. There's a difference:laugh:

But yeah, it'll be fine I think. Gayle will feature in the openers poll obviously. He took a truckload of wickets but I can't see him batting anywhere other than as an opener. However he will still feature in he all-rounders poll if he misses out as an opener.

As for the bowling options, you're right. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Though there certainly deserves to still be an all-rounder poll IMO.

The utility player/leftver option can be a 4th bowler.

Last edited:
Your criteria is wrong. It will stuff the team up. Its possibly 6 batsmen or 6 batsmen incl Gayle. Viv (and Gayle) are the 5th bowlers in that scenario. Then a 4 prong pace attack will almost certainly be picked unless Narine pulls a miracle. Roger Harper will not be picked.

You want to give people the choice, thats great. But you've not done it well.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Okay. I'll simply remove the allrounder poll and turn the final poll into 2 'leftovers' instead of 1. Is that better?

Okay. I'll simply remove the allrounder poll and turn the final poll into 2 'leftovers' instead of 1. Is that better?
Its better. But not best.

People need to know that when they pick the openers, Gayle's bowling could be a factor of choosing him over Haynes or Greenidge.

I would start with the easier questions of pick 2 opening seam bowlers. Pick a wicket keeper bat. Pick 3, 4 and 5. Its not like most test teams where the issues revolve around who bats 6 with 3 front line seamers and spinner.

Viv will almost certainly be picked. His bowling changes a lot. Gayle is not so certain, but I think his bowling is a factor in choosing him over Haynes or Greenidge for some people.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Well I think it would help. I can re-do the openers poll at the end ala the NZ team if people object like you have, as for the 2 seamers poll being first, well at least 3 will end up being picked anyway so may as well kill 3 birds with 2 stones.

Last edited:
Gayle and Richards are nowhere near good enough to be relied upon for 10 overs
Rather than point out the 1979 CWC final or give you endless scorecards of Viv and Gayle bowling their share each, I will ask you whether you think that Gayle took 163 ODI wickets as a 6th bowler? Did Viv take 118 wickets (at 4.49 ER) as a 6th or 7th bowler?

LLoyd is also in the prospective team. He was good enough to bowl the 1975 CWC final.

It is how the West Indies did things when they were the best. 4 bowlers. 6 batsmen. Sometimes they have Gomes bowl like the 1983 final. But Viv did more. And Gayle does too.

Viv and Gayle have more than 10 overs to be relied on as a combined 5 and 6 bowling option.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not against all time line ups. Quote all the ****ing stats you want, they mean the square root of **** all.

kingkallis

International Coach
Gordon Greenidge
Desmond Haynes

Brian Lara
Viv Richards
Clive Lloyd

Dwayne Bravo

Ridley Jacobs

Reon King
Joel Garner
Curtly Ambrose

Team formation doesn't seem to be right.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Gayle
Haynes
Richards
Lara
Lloyd
Hooper
Dujon
Roberts
Holding
Garner
Ambrose

Think you have to include Hooper or Bravo. Gayle, Viv and Hooper to bowl ten between them.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Greenidge
Gayle
Lara
Viv
Lloyd
Hooper
Dwayne Bravo EDIT Sammy instead
Dujon
Marshall
Garner
Ambrose
No, edit that. Will anger the WI posters here, but Darren Sammy for Dwayne Bravo. Much better economy rate with the ball and just need a slogger at 7 after that great top 5