• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Batsman (overall careers to date) - Michael Clarke vs. Younis Khan

Best test bat - Michael Clarke vs. Younis Khan

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry, curiosity has got the better of me. A recent poll on PP had Younis ahead about 3 to 1 (around 60 votes to 20), which is not really a surprise given the audience, but I'm interested in how most on here view it now, especially after recent performances.

Please vote on their entire test careers to date, and not just recent form.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've sat on the fence with my vote since I've seen almost every test innings Clarke's played and I've seen very few of Younis' innings.

At a cursory glance, Younis seems to have the better overall record, been very consistent against most opponents in most countries. Only teams he's had lesser performances against home or away are WIs and SA (if you consider that average 40 is a lesser performance).

Zinzan

wouldn't be a surprise if Clarke wins here given the audience
I'm not so sure, I'd like to think that CW as a collective is pretty much down the middle & generally tells it like it is. Certainly in comparison with some other rather 'passionate' forums out there anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think Clarke only averaged over 50 in two calendar years in his career.
EDIT: No that's not true at all. God damn you ABC Offsiders.

Anyway, I think Younis edges it, but Clarke was an absolute jet obviously.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Younis takes it quite easily Imo. Better stats any way you look at it. You'd back Clarkeh in Australia but anywhere else you're taking Younis.

Both equally good slip fielders.

Younis much better looking. Haven't seen his wife so can't rate vs kylie.

OverratedSanity

I've posted this before but it warrants repeating: Since 2003, Younis has had exactly one year where he's averaged below 50. You can't get much more consistent than that.

Zinzan

Wow, this is more comprehensive than I thought. Younis currently leading 8-0, with one draw.

Flem274*

123/5
Howe is bang on. Like I said in the Clarke thread, instinctively I think Clarke but that's only because I get to see him bat more often.

There aren't many scarier sights in cricket than Younis Khan striding to the crease in the UAE if your team relies on pace bowling to take wickets. R.I.P. in pieces hopes and dreams.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I believe Younis is under rated overall, but IMHO, Clarke played the more defining innings compared to Younis in tough conditions. So to me, Clarke shades it.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Younis takes it quite easily Imo. Better stats any way you look at it. You'd back Clarkeh in Australia but anywhere else you're taking Younis.

Both equally good slip fielders.

Younis much better looking. Haven't seen his wife so can't rate vs kylie.
Clarke as a slip fielder is miles ahead of YK. YK is Pak's best slip fielder, with the emphasis being on Pak's

wouldn't be a surprise if Clarke wins here given the audience
I don't believe that this forum has a particular bias towards anyone. The problem is of exposure, broadcasting and media attention. Cricinfo is the go to site for every cricket fan to follow the game they love. When India, Australia and England play, the entire Cricinfo website becomes about that series, with extra analysis, video highlights, the experts like Agarkar, McGill, Ponting all giving their inputs. On the other hand, the media in England and India will give it extra exposure.

When the ROW plays, first the broadcasting is usually on Ten Sports, and the coverage is not of a great quality, Cricinfo barely covers the scores, with the coverage starting literally with the first ball and ending literally with the last ball. The major commentators - the Warnes, Chappels, Shastris,Bhogles are not the ones talking about this cricket.

Given this filtering process, only a handful of few like PEWS would make it past and can report diligently even on the first class cricket in these respective countries.

Ultimately, it is up to the fans to make the effort and keep track. Most of the actual commentators, former cricketers, stake holders (including ICC officials) have all but given up.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Younis for me.

I think Younis has moved up a notch from the likes of KP, Mahela, Clarke and occupies the level below Sanga, Kallis and Dravid.