• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsmen from this list - choose 3

These players are of a similar vintage. Choose the 3 best batsmen.

• Total voters
I went with Chanders, Younis and KP. KP is lucky as Chanders and Younis are in a class above him, Younis is probably two classes above him in fact. But KP is a wonderful entertainer who could score important runs, so I went with him ahead of Jayawardene.

Younis is streets ahead of being the best batsmen on this poll, in my opinion.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I need time to think about this. The hard part for me is where to rank opening bat Smith against the others.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I need to ponder over the 3rd a little longer. KP & Smith are certs for me, tossing up between Chanders & Younis for 3rd spot.

Yeah, I need to ponder over the 3rd a little longer. KP & Smith are certs for me, tossing up between Chanders & Younis for 3rd spot.
How is Graeme Smith and KP certainties and Younis doubtful?

Younis being underrated on CW is hitting record depths.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Smith and Younis half a level above the others. Struggled between Clarke and KP for a bit but went for KP in the end.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Went with YK, KP and Clarke. It was a tough one between Clarke and Chanders for me...in the end what went in Clarke's favour was that I hadn't seen the 08 Chanders in a long long time.

Most of his runs are against club cricketers
They're really not.

Younis averages over 50 against Australia. Smith 32.

Younis averages over 88 against India. Smith less than 38.

Younis averages over 50 v Sri Lanka. Smith 35.

Smith averages over 50 in England. So does Younis.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

They're really not.

Younis averages over 88 against India. Smith less than 38.

Younis averages over 50 v Sri Lanka. Smith 35.

Smith averages over 50 in England. So does Younis.
I don't consider Smith's average against Aus a black mark at all. It's like Dravid's record vs them. Not a great looking average but it's compensated by some truly great knocks.

Zinzan

They're really not.

Think you've got to look a little deeper than that tbf. Younis has played only 3 tests in Aust (out of 101 test) and has no hundreds, & averages 43 in that very small sample.

I would say for a subcontinent player, Younis' record does flatter him a little. And I say that because he's played just 21 out of 101 tests (20% of his tests) in the toughest conditions for most sub-continental players; that being in Aust, SA, NZ & Eng conditions.

That's not saying I don't rate Younis, because I do, but i think it's fair to point out this is a fairly small number in those countries across a 101 test career.

Zinzan

How is Graeme Smith and KP certainties and Younis doubtful?

Younis being underrated on CW is hitting record depths.
Well the PP forum certainly agrees with you. There (go figure) Younis was voted him a better test batsman than Michael Clarke by 3 to 1, (60 votes to 20 IIRC.)

Would actually be interesting seeing a Younis vs Clarke (best test bat) poll on here atm. I think based on recent events, Younis might just come out on top.

OverratedSanity

Think you've got to look a little deeper than that tbf. Younis has played only 3 tests in Aust (out of 101 test) and has no hundreds, & averages 43 in that very small sample.

I would say for a subcontinent player, Younis' record does flatter him a little. And I say that because he's played just 21 out of 101 tests (20% of his tests) in the toughest conditions for most sub-continental players; that being in Aust, SA, NZ & Eng conditions.

That's not saying I don't rate Younis, because I do, but i think it's fair to point out this is a fairly small number in those countries across a 101 test career.
Do you apply this same criteria for Sanga though? His proportion will be just as low if not even lower.

Okay - Younis Khan averages over 38 against everybody.

Graeme Smith averages less than 38 against India, Sri Lanka and Australia.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Voted against Mahela with a heavy heart. Given that what he excelled at was - in terms of output - taking advantage of high-scoring matches at home, he really should have an average comfortably better than the other options, but it's just good.

KP vs Clarke is very very close in the sense that they're both players who were capable of great things but never quite made the very top tier. Went with KP this time but could easily go another way.

Smith can **** off