• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best batsmen from this list - choose 3

These players are of a similar vintage. Choose the 3 best batsmen.

• Total voters

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Went with KP, Clarke and Younis.

Chanders very unlucky but I just felt that KP and Clarke had more impact at their prime. That's probably being harsh though.

Zinzan

Do you apply this same criteria for Sanga though? His proportion will be just as low if not even lower.
True, but Sanga's record in Aust, Eng, NZ & SA stands on it's own. Australia in particular, Sanga averaged 60 there, with one hundred and 5 fifties (in 10 innings), whereas Khan's hardly played there, and has just 1 fifty from 6 innings. It's not his fault that he's only played 6 innings there, but it's fair to say the jury is still out on his ability to succeed in the country generally most difficult for SC batsmen. The sample is so insignificant for Younis.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Chanders may have been selfish, but there have been series where if he wasn't there the Windies would have been decimated. He's no Sobers or Waugh when it comes to batting with the tail, but he's also got runs on the board with a WICB so bereft of organisational skills they may have dropped him for a far less able person.
Younis too has had other pressures to deal with, different to the likes of places such as Australia, India, SA or England.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Think you've got to look a little deeper than that tbf. Younis has played only 3 tests in Aust (out of 101 test) and has no hundreds, & averages 43 in that very small sample.

I would say for a subcontinent player, Younis' record does flatter him a little. And I say that because he's played just 21 out of 101 tests (20% of his tests) in the toughest conditions for most sub-continental players; that being in Aust, SA, NZ & Eng conditions.

That's not saying I don't rate Younis, because I do, but i think it's fair to point out this is a fairly small number in those countries across a 101 test career.
Don't really have a horse in this race, or an axe to grind, but this is eerily similar to, say, using Lillee's record in the subcontinent against him.

That's just how things work out sometimes.

Zinzan

Don't really have a horse in this race, or an axe to grind, but this is eerily similar to, say, using Lillee's record in the subcontinent against him.

That's just how things work out sometimes.
I don''t even think I'm saying that much though tbh, because unlike Lillee in the SC (and never touring India), Younis still did okay in Aust. I'm just making the point that because the sample set is so low, the jury is still out.

And ftr, Lillee's bowling average of 68 in the SC and the fact he never toured India is something that should be mentioned to provide context when assessing his test career on the whole.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting poll results.

Of the 6 batsmen, four of them have reached the no1 test batting ranking during their careers. Of the remaining two batsmen, one reached no2 in the rankings while the other got to no3.

Without cheating, which two do you think missed out on the top ranking?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting poll results.

Of the 6 batsmen, four of them have reached the no1 test batting ranking during their careers. Of the remaining two batsmen, one reached no2 in the rankings while the other got to no3.

Without cheating, which two do you think missed out on the top ranking?
KP and Jayawardene?

Flem274*

123/5
smith is the best of the lot

They're really not.

Younis averages over 50 against Australia. Smith 32.

Younis averages over 88 against India. Smith less than 38.

Younis averages over 50 v Sri Lanka. Smith 35.

Smith averages over 50 in England. So does Younis.
i too can read averages and base everything on that

Zinzan

Probably better than all of them (bar Younis, maybe?)
I'm so split on the Sehwag vs.G Smith question, especially when thinking about openers of this era. They're just so so different as batsmen which makes it difficult to compare. Smith, so so calculated and mentally tough and Sehwag, absolutely devastating when on song.

OverratedSanity

Not a chance. Averages 25 in England, New Zealand and South Africa.
Whatever. Triple hundreds against Steyn, Morkel, Saqlain, Akhtar. A near triple hundred against Murali in 80 overs. And yet you throw boring outside SC stats at us.

Sehwag isn't like Mahela or Yousuf who are godlike in SC and suck outside... when he's on the other team can basically throw in the towel.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag's reputation among cricket fans have had an interesting journey. When he started, he was written off, then from 03-09, he was in basically EVERY current XI by fans. In 2010, when Cricinfo did their India All Time XI, there was absolutely no competition for Sehwag to secure an opener's spot. Yet from 2010 onwards, with the SA tour I guess, with India losing their number 1 ranking on those England and Aussie tours, Sehwag's stocks devalued greatly. I think it is no co incidence that his phenomenal rise as a batsman came at the same time as India's peak as a test team and his decline as a test opener also came with India's decline as a test side.