Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Best/worst bets you've made on cricket

State Regular

Best/worst bets you've made on cricket

I put 20 bucks on Smith to top score in the 2nd test. Was only the aussie cheering when Rogers got out for 173, and when Smith passed that number. It was great because there was no pressure on him when he was on that score, only me.

However I made a silly bet yesterday. I rate Smith and Root as good as each other, but it's obvious to anyone with a brain Root has been more consistent this series. Knowing this I still put 20 more on Smith to top score last night, and 25 on Warner to hedge my bets. As soon as I made them I thought ehhhh.. Root probably would have probably been safer money....

I also put a fair bit of money on Kevin O'brien to top score for Ireland in a match once and for some reason he was paying 8 bucks. Easy money.

And another big win was on SA to score over 8 runs in the first over of a t20 match. Amla creamed two cuts to the boundary in the first couple of balls.

School Boy/Girl Captain TheJammyTurtle's Avatar
    UAE last year,had quite a bit on Pakistan to score over 374.5 runs on a dead pitch in Sharjah.Well day 1 ended,and Pakistan were 281/3.and I was almost counting the cash.But then, the Phil Hughes tragedy occured,and when the players came back the next day after the 2nd day had been postponed, their heads didn't seem in it and they were bowled out for 310-320 odd,Mark Craig taking a 7 for.I was gobsmacked,couldnt believe it.

International Captain
    In 1976 I was annoyed that Mike Selvey had been chosen for the Old Trafford Test against the West Indies due to injuries to Snow, Ward, Willis and Arnold. I thought Peter Lee deserved a chance on his home ground. I bet my paper round money with a mate that Selvey wouldn't get a top order batsman out in the match. Inside 20 minutes he'd sent back Fredericks, Richards and Kallicharran. Then in the second innings he got Greenidge and Lloyd.

State Vice-Captain kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    I lost $192 on the first Zimbabwe ODI. Bet it on the BCs at $1.06 after the first innings for an easy $12 or so.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Working for the man, if Gove fits that description
    When I was about eight I was watching my Dad's team play - he was an occasional bowler but found himself on a hat trick - one of my mates bet me sixpence he wouldn't get the third, and I was happy to take it thinking I was safe on the basis the old man would be so chuffed he'd reimburse me the tanner in the unlikely event he managed the hat trick - well he did, and then he didn't - wasn't best pleased with the old bugger but he, for some reason, thought it was hilarious

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I won a KFC (yet to be claimed) from my brother thanks to this current Ashes series. I once lost an avatar for multiple years on England in the UAE though I think I was granted amnesty after a while. I've only ever bet money on cricket when at the ground tbh. I'm not much of a gambler.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    When I play backyard cricket, I close my eyes and think, win this for GIMH.

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Bet against KP making a hundred in the '07 WC and the **** who won made me have a ****ing United avatar. WAFC.
    I am a brave man, I am a coward. I am the tiger, I am the flower.
    I am honest, and I'm a liar. I am vital, I am tired.
    I am a free man, I am caught. From where I am, I see the top.
    I am most importantly never concerned with what I am not.
    Forever, more than just surviving.
    THIS IS MY LIFE AND THIS LIFE IS MY DIAMOND

I bet on Ireland to beat Pakistan in that famous WC match. Told everyone on here it was going to happen as well. I've had bigger wins since, but $50 at 15.00 was huge for me at the time and it kicked off my semi-professional sports betting career, really.

I'll also always remember this from just after I turned 18:
    Put your money on......
    This was for really superstitious reasons but I called it, backed it and won. My first sizeable win, I think.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 10-08-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    Rejecting 'selection deontology' since Mar '15
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    I won a KFC (yet to be claimed) from my brother thanks to this current Ashes series. I once lost an avatar for multiple years on England in the UAE though I think I was granted amnesty after a while. I've only ever bet money on cricket when at the ground tbh. I'm not much of a gambler.
    Crazy ***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE
    RIP Philip Hughes - 1988-2014

The Wheel of Mediocrity | Compton, Root, Carberry, Robson, Trott, Lyth | The wheel is forever

Founder and Grand Wizard of the CW Football Thread Statluminati. Potential hater of abilities. Blocked on twitter by Michael Vaughan, Brad McNamara and AtlCricket for my hard hitting truths.

Not cricket but I did win $1200 betting Chile to win 3-1 into Alexis first goal scorer against Aus in the WC

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Bet against KP making a hundred in the '07 WC and the **** who won made me have a ****ing United avatar. WAFC.
    I was at war with the testing forum gang back then though

I bet on Ireland to beat Pakistan in that famous WC match. Told everyone on here it was going to happen as well. I've had bigger wins since, but $50 at 15.00 was huge for me at the time and it kicked off my semi-professional sports betting career, really.

Put your money on......
    This was for really superstitious reasons but I called it, backed it and won. My first sizeable win, I think.
    Your bet on Ireland winning that game was stupid and you were foolish to place it. I know this because someone on CW said so

one like for the first person who guesses who

Cricket Spectator
    After the South Africa v NZ WC warmup game I put $100 on Boult to be the top wicket taker in the WC at 30:1.

I hedged my bet coming into the final by putting money on Starc (to take 3+ wickets or something), so I ended up making a profit of ~$2k
    Howsie likes this.

Put your money on......
    Just read through that thread. You're a ****ing idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Just read through that thread. You're a ****ing idiot.
    Haha yeah no doubt. I was mostly taking the piss but I did actually make the bet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information