• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka 2015

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember a patch after world cup when we lost constantly v sri Lanka in odis. There was a banner that India could not even think of beating lanka. And it was true at the time.
We constantly lost to Pakistan too at that time (Except WCs of course :) ). Any win over Pak/SL was seen as an upset.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Harby averaged 28 during the 2008 tour, and specifically took 10 wickets in the same match Sehwag scored his double so idk where your coming up with the Harbhjan was taken to the cleaners bit. Harby also missed out on the most bowler friendly track of his 2010 tour where Mishra came in and took wickets afterwards.

And as you mentioned, SL's batting line up this passed tour was the weakest it's been since forever. So that also has to be taken into consideration.
Harbhajan did well on that Galle minefield. But other than that he never bowled as well as in India. Similarly all Sri Lankan spinners struggled with the SG and it's large seam.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Harbhajan did well on that Galle minefield. But other than that he never bowled as well as in India. Similarly all Sri Lankan spinners struggled with the SG and it's large seam.
LOL Galle was not a minefield, low scoring games don't automatically become minefields, India in 08 simply couldn't play Mendis and Murali (other than GG/Sehwag), and it wasn't because the pitches were minefields. Also I was only countering your point about Harbhajan being taken to the cleaners which is inaccurate, he had his share of good and bad games. Obviously he wasn't as good as in India, I never claimed otherwise.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL Galle was not a minefield, low scoring games don't automatically become minefields, India in 08 simply couldn't play Mendis and Murali (other than GG/Sehwag), and it wasn't because the pitches were minefields. Also I was only countering your point about Harbhajan being taken to the cleaners which is inaccurate, he had his share of good and bad games. Obviously he wasn't as good as in India, I never claimed otherwise.
Galle 08 was a very difficult pitch.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Galle 08 was a very difficult pitch.
Nah, everyone thinks it was because of Sehwag's innings in comparison to everyone else, but really it was a good pitch if you applied yourself well enough, I remember Vaas getting Tendulkar simply by setting him up instead of the pitch playing tricks, and guys like Karthik charging out of insecurity. Things like that were the cause of low scores, not the pitch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's put it this way. indian spinners were not good on pitches which provided only a bit of spin and generally good for batting. Murali kept exploiting them while Kumble and Harbhajan failed to do it, hence SL had better spinning prowess than India. When it came to Galle it offered so much spin, that the above advantage Murali had just nullified. Murali and Ashwin bowling on Galle track of this series wouldn't have shown any difference in their class. The class would become apparent if they were to bowl on that green track. Murali would have run through the Indian line up, even on that pitch. Harbhajan's all good games came on square turners. On thr other hand Kumble was very unfortunate. I have seen him bowling some mind numbing legbreaks on our tracks, but his best years happen to co-incide with jayasuriya and Aravinda in the God mode. Kumble would have decimated current SL lineup even on that green track in SSC.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, everyone thinks it was because of Sehwag's innings in comparison to everyone else, but really it was a good pitch if you applied yourself well enough, I remember Vaas getting Tendulkar simply by setting him up instead of the pitch playing tricks, and guys like Karthik charging out of insecurity. Things like that were the cause of low scores, not the pitch.
Meh, Vaas is probably the second best bowler after Kapil Dev if non-Pakistani Asian team bowling considered. Vaas working up a batsman is a non-shocker for me, because that'show he get's people out. But I remember Ishant Sharma getting 4 or 5 wickets in the second innings and some balls raring up and some keeping low.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's put it this way. indian spinners were not good on pitches which provided only a bit of spin and generally good for batting.
Which is a lot different than saying "Harbhajan and few other minor spinners were taken to cleaners in SL" is what I'm saying. Anyhow we can agree to disagree with the Galle track, seems like practically any track that isn't a complete road = square turner/minefield on this forum.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh man I feel bad for Sri Lanka. They have now lost 3 home series in the space of a year. And here's the thing, I feel that Sri Lanka produces the best pitches, the most sporting pitches in test cricket today..which explain how someone like Steyn can get so much help. So I really hope that these defeats don't make Sri Lanka go the way of the others and produce pitches not to their advantage but to the opposition's disadvantage.

Anyway, these are tough times for Sri Lankan cricket now, but I do hope they come through. Matthews is a class batsman, and if he works on his fitness, he can become a more dependable all rounder more in the Kallis mould.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ya there was a time when people thought Watson would be the next mini-Kallis. But Mathews is a much better call than that was.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
But it all depends on his fitness though. He doesn't appear to be that different from Watson in being injured if he has to bowl 15 overs in a game.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Neither are remotely a good call as neither are close as batsmen to him or bowl enough.
I did not think Mathews would average 45+ when he first started batting. But looks like he might end up averaging 55+. If he can average 55 for SL, then I have no issues putting him in the same Pedestal with Kallis, or even little higher because he can open up bowling attacks.