• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Kerry Pecker face-lift.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True...
Rupert Murdoch along with plenty of Premiership chairmen has changed the English game forever. Similar things have happened in Europe, esp. Spain and Italy.
The global nature of cricket owes part to Packer and his C9 stuff, part to Doordarshan in India.
And part to ICC's opportunism.:) :( (that's supposed to be a confused face, sadly James still hasn't invented one)

Lora

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
True...
Rupert Murdoch along with plenty of Premiership chairmen has changed the English game forever. Similar things have happened in Europe, esp. Spain and Italy.
The global nature of cricket owes part to Packer and his C9 stuff, part to Doordarshan in India.
And part to ICC's opportunism.:) :( (that's supposed to be a confused face, sadly James still hasn't invented one)
:lol: A confused smilie would be good especially with me around!!

No doubt. You can't turn your back on the exposure that the media offers. Luckily for the game, people realised what the media had to offer and how best to use it. Be it individuals or boards... Cricket is now using the media to attract and retain audiences worldwide.

(Murdoch's taken over an Italian station, gving him, I think if I remeber rightly) domination of the football over there... it'll be interesting to see what happens.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lora said:
Luckily for the game, people realised what the media had to offer and how best to use it. Be it individuals or boards... Cricket is now using the media to attract and retain audiences worldwide.
Some are good at it, some less so. Don't know if you've read Athers' autobiography, but he admits without any shame that he was useless at using the media.
Fortunately, Tony Blair does know how to use the media. And The BCC found out to their detriment what happens if you fight him.:alien8: Sadly, poor Greg Dyke paid the biggest price (in that he had more to lose than that idiot Gilligan) and by all accounts he's a thoroughly nice guy and certainly I can't see what he did wrong in this issue.

Lora

Cricket Spectator
Richard said:
Some are good at it, some less so. Don't know if you've read Athers' autobiography, but he admits without any shame that he was useless at using the media.
I haven't read Ather's autobiography yet... My dad's got it and has read it... and read passages to his colts last year when they complained about having to practise the same thing over and over and over last season :lol: It shall be taking a trip with me to the WIndies in the hope it gets read!

Fortunately, Tony Blair does know how to use the media. And The BCC found out to their detriment what happens if you fight him.:alien8: Sadly, poor Greg Dyke paid the biggest price (in that he had more to lose than that idiot Gilligan) and by all accounts he's a thoroughly nice guy and certainly I can't see what he did wrong in this issue.
I like Dyke and all he stood for - good investigative journalism is what we need and he backed it all the way.
And in a minute I have to write a 500 word essay on the Hutton inquiry and it's inplications for the BBC as reported by the Daily Mail (:() Deep joy(!)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deep sympathies from all.:D
Good investigative journalism is all very well and good, but you need to think about the people you're talking your sources from. Clearly, Andrew Gilligan didn't do that and the result was poor Dr. Kelly was placed under ridiculous strain and couldn't cope. Yes, Alistair Campbell deserves to take his share but in my view Gilligan has the greater fault.
Greg Dyke, though, could surely not have played any really significant part. Though I confess I haven't read Lord Hutton's report.:lol: