• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dennis Compton v Peter May v Kevin Pietersen

Of these, who is your best/favourite batsman?

• Denis Compton

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Peter May

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Kevin Pietersen

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Can't Decide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who would you rate as your best/favourite batsman of the three? May batted evenly at 3 and 4, Pietersen was a number 4, and Compton did the dance between 4 and 5, but was primarily a number 4.

Let's hear some noise for these great post-WWII batsmen of English cricket (Even though Compton debuted before the war)

Here are their batting career summaries (if you are into that sort of thing)

Denis Compton

Peter May

Kevin Pietersen

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Would much rather watch Compton bat. But to win me a series, May or perhaps Pietersen. May.

(All unsubstantiated opinion of course)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really close battle this. They're all definitely a notch below England's finest ever batsmen, namely; Hobbs, Hutton & Hammond & possibly Barrington (and Grace & Ranji if you want to include those from the old bowling-dominated era).

Peter May is someone my great uncle still gushes about having seen him as a school boy in the in NZ in the 1950s. Was apparently incredibly elegant, but then again I've heard/read similar things about Compton.

Will need to ponder this a little more, but I'm probably lending towards Compton marginally.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Compton lost his peak years to the War, and his knee was ****ed for years, and May didn't enjoy robust health either so both had their crosses to bear, unlike KP, whose only problem was everyone hated him - I'm going to say Compton of course, but most of all I'd like to have seen him bowl

JBMAC

State Captain
I favour Peter May. As well as being a scorer of runs, the manner in which he got them showed elegance. IMPO Pietersen is not in the same class as the other two.

watson

Banned
Went looking for footage of Compton, and here he is dancing down the wicket against the Kiwis. However, I ended up being more interested in watching Martin Donnelly in action;

[video]http://streaming.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00093000/00093329.mp4.m3u8[/video]

ageaxe

Cricket Spectator
Compton was a fine all-round fielder (May was lumbering and much criticised even during his playing days whilst Pietersen took too long to be adequate at test level) and was also the only one of the three who could bowl. Yes he could be expensive but, as a second-string wrist spinner, he was a good partnership breaker and adept at rolling over nine, ten, jack.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
I badly wanted to say 'I may go for May' but nah its Kay p

If the other two could bat like this they must have been pretty good too

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Tough to separate between Compton and May. Both excelled against some tough opposition- Lindwall, Davidson, Miller, Benaud, Adcock, Heine, Tayfield, Fazal and the list goes on....