• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is ICC baised?

Beleg

International Regular
In your personal subjective opinion, is ICC baised when it comes to decisions concerning the actions of Asian Bowlers [Spinners and Pacemen included?]

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, but I don think they are biased towards spinners in general. I am a spinner, but I dont chuck the ball and I dont see why players like Grant Flower, Mattiah Muralitharan and Sanwar Hossain can.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I've seen all left-arm fingerspinners chuck the ball - except Dom Tuohey.
Muttiah Muralitharan, meanwhile, doesn't.
As far as ICC is concerned, I think they do a good job given the many no-win situations they find themselves in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Muttiah Muralitharan, meanwhile, doesn't.
As far as ICC is concerned, I think they do a good job given the many no-win situations they find themselves in.
Agreed.

The biggest problem the ICC is faced with is the constant, and most times unwarranted, criticism that they get. I am admittedly guilty of adding to this on occasion.

That said, they certainly aren't perfect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But then again, if you're holding-out for perfection, you've got a long wait.
People at times seem to expect govorning bodies (whether sporting, political or whatever) to be perfect - what they forget is that these are not superhuman organisations, they are run by humans. And humans make mistakes.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ICC, like the UN is necessary but has some idiot members. Like the ones who agreed to the one-bouncer-per-over-per-batsman rule and the moron who once (seriously) suggested that leg-spin bowlers should be stopped from bowling into the rough outside leg-stump by calling wide whenever they tried. Yeesh............

The ICC sure has made some clangers over the years. Not doing anything about Mark Waugh and Shane Warne when they took that money years ago, fining and banning for a match Virender Sehwag in his second Test, not finisg Mike Atherton for ball tampering a while ago (I liked Athers a lot but that was just balant), not having the gumption to do something about Sri Lanka's disgraceful performance in Adelaide in 1999 because of a legal threat to test their legislation, etc.

They're a necessary organisation but the sooner the head (whoever it may be) stops looking after their own country's interests, the better.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Top_Cat said:
They're a necessary organisation but the sooner the head (whoever it may be) stops looking after their own country's interests, the better.
I think the head of the ICC is still Malcolm Speed (Australian) unless it has changed recently......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
The ICC, like the UN is necessary but has some idiot members. Like the ones who agreed to the one-bouncer-per-over-per-batsman rule and the moron who once (seriously) suggested that leg-spin bowlers should be stopped from bowling into the rough outside leg-stump by calling wide whenever they tried. Yeesh............

The ICC sure has made some clangers over the years. Not doing anything about Mark Waugh and Shane Warne when they took that money years ago, fining and banning for a match Virender Sehwag in his second Test, not finisg Mike Atherton for ball tampering a while ago (I liked Athers a lot but that was just balant), not having the gumption to do something about Sri Lanka's disgraceful performance in Adelaide in 1999 because of a legal threat to test their legislation, etc.

Some of the transgressions that you name were the direct fault of referees (Sehwag, Atherton).
I can't see how Head Office could be blamed for that.
Often silly calls like those you example in your first paragraph are the result of hasty overreaction to an isolated, largely irrelevant event, often concerning the "wrongdoing" to one's own country.
Those with an ICC position would do best to keep shtum about these matters.

biased indian

International Coach
Richard said:
Some of the transgressions that you name were the direct fault of referees (Sehwag, Atherton).
I can't see how Head Office could be blamed for that.
Often silly calls like those you example in your first paragraph are the result of hasty overreaction to an isolated, largely irrelevant event, often concerning the "wrongdoing" to one's own country.
Those with an ICC position would do best to keep shtum about these matters.
If some under u is not working properly u will get the blame.
ICC should be tough on the refrees that act badly.they are not doing that uless they are forced to.
that y its said that ICC is BIASED

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the stupid thing is there has never been stipulated punishments - it's all on the referee's whim.
This is never a good idea as the impression of bias can always be given. Stipulated punishments would all but avert that.