• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your gut instinct when watching your favorite team's bowling attack

thundaboult

International Debutant
This is a fun little idea I thought up of in regards to what your gut instinct is when you see your favorite team's bowlers run and in bowl. My favorite team is New Zealand so I'll try to describe to my best of ability of what I feel when I see the current NZ side's bowlers running in and doing their thing. You can use any team you like... it doesn't have to be your favorite...IPL, CPL, International cricket (odi, test, t20) ANY TEAM IN ANY FORMAT. And I'd be lying if I didn't say that I also wanna know who has a similar opinion to mines.

Team: New Zealand

And now, the bowlers:

Grant Elliott: When he's bowling, I'm quite assured that he will bowl out of a few good overs and restrict the runs. But in death overs or a pressure situation I never trust him with the ball in hand as much as I do when he has the bat.

Matt Henry: Fizzled out after a great start to his career, no variety or X-factor in his bowling though. Needs time to rediscover his mojo or step his game up so that the international stage doesn't leave him behind. Love that Shane Bond-like action tho I must admit.

Mitch Mclenaghan: Just like Henry, has fizzled out after an awesome first two years in his career. Whenever I see him bowl now, I just know he's gonna leak runs like he always has but unlike before, won't get any wickets. His time is up I'm afraid. Really disappointed as of late as well due to the fact that he was bowling so fast in the IPL (fastest ball of the IPL this season at 151.2kmph) but ever since then his pace and aggression has died off.

Nathan Mccullum: Needs to go away. Don't know why he still has a contract. Give Ish Sodhi that spot.

Kane Williamson: Similar to Elliott.

Jimmy Neesham: Lacks the bite, but I know he can develop into something better. Needs a confidence-boosting bowling performance. Promising all-rounder in test matches but don't trust him in limited overs formats with ball in hand...or bat for that matter but that's a different thread then isn't it :laugh:

Corey Anderson: An uncanny but natural wicket-taker. Has a knack for breaking partnerships. When I see him bowling I know he's gonna go for runs but I also know he'll bag some wickets, even the crucial ones. Reliable fourth seamer who can maintain pressure and also take wickets.

Doug Bracewell: Haven't seen him at all recently, but If I was the team's captain, I would have no problems in trusting him with the ball in tests. Need to see more of him in limited overs to form an opinion of his bowling though.

Ben wheeler: Need to see more of him to form an opinion but I've been mildly impressed by what I've seen from him so far.

Neil Wagner: Good and reliable third seaming option in tests. And he should stay a test bowler as well.

Ish Sodhi: Has age on his side. I see a lot of potential in him when he's bowling but needs to be given more chances at the top. I feel that the more he will play, the better he will get.

Mitchell Santner: Impressive so far with the ball IMO. Along with Sodhi he could be the future of NZ's spin attack.

Mark Craig: Love his bowling and fully trust him with ball in hand in any situation. NZ's best spin bowler at the moment. Should totally get a run in limited overs as well.

Tim Southee: Unplayable when the conditions are in his favor. And if they aren't..he's completely lost and toothless. Blowing hot and cold all the time and lacks consistency. A bit overhyped in my opinion.

Adam Milne: Has extra pace which is promising and exciting but that's about it when it comes to his arsenal.Needs that one standout bowling performance that will give him confidence in his ability. I see him as a strike bowling option rather than a third seamer in the future...but that's all up to how he develops in the next one or two years. When he runs in and bowls I'm confident that he will take a crucial wicket or two but his injury-thon is highly frustrating. Please don't end up like Bond.. Milny. :@

Trent Boult: Currently the only guy who I completely trust when he's bowling for NZ in any situation, in any format. THE strike bowler of New Zealand and THE leader of the attack. Can turn up the pace, bowls in the right areas, has variety, and can obviously get movement and swing it like the pitch is full of demons. Barely ever bowls a bad a ball and isn't afraid to use yorkers, bouncers, short balls, all that good stuff on a regular basis. Big future ahead of him and such a joy it is to watch his bowling action.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Ripe opportunity for Indian posters to blurt out their true feelings. Who will step forward and do it for all of us?

Shady Slim

International Coach
mitchell johnson is an odd one for me but i get my feelings after two to three overs.

if he is bowling yorkers or bouncers i am a happy man but if he's trying to persist on a nagging length or something he's gonna go for a lot

Howe_zat

Audio File
'please look good in the first 4 overs or we're ****ed'

aka pray to the swing god

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Mitch Johnson- been around long enough to know it's extremes, really good or not so good. When it's right he wins tests for us straight out. When he's wrong we have been able to cover it. Worth his weight.

Josh Hazelwood- Steady, feel confident he'll take a few poles and not leak too many runs. Will get better with age.

Mitchell Starc- God knows. Will just create a miracle ball that destroys the opposition's best batsman, but then just bowl wide lame tripe for ages. Also get sick of all the white/red ball chat, just be ****ing good at both, you've got all the tools.

Mitch Marsh- Don't trust him to be necessarily economical like his predecessor could be, but he has the knack of getting wickets. If his body hold together could legit be an ATG AR.

Nathan Lyon- ****ing adore this little bloke. Beautiful offie action, nice flight and drift. Is pushing his wickets per test tally towards four which is ideal. Always feel confident he'll bowl to the match situation and do the right thing. Has been a couple of times in tests when he's just looked amazing.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
smith - its like watching a skinny warne!

warner- its like watching a mini warne!

starc - wish he would bowl a bit more like the other mitch

johnson - wish he would bowl a bit more like the other mitch

hazelwood - next mcgrath

marsh - dull

lyon - overachiever but hard to no like him

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Tim Southee - Engaged

Boult - Thrilled

Mark Craig - skeptical

Henry - pessimistic

Wagner - phlegmatic

Bracewell - dubious

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Kenya. If a couple of the opponent batsmen get their eye in we will be at a total loss regrding how to respond. No plan B at all

91Jmay

International Coach
First 5 overs basically tell us how it is going. Don't need wickets necessarily but if they are bowling back of a length and/or the ball isn't swinging/seaming we are Donald ducked.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wahab - 150 plus, I want to see those thunderbolts that destroyed Watson, the yorker that owned man of the tournament Yuvraj. Oh how I would love to see you bowl in Australia and South Africa.
Junaid - There is only one thing I enjoy watching more than watching Virat Kohli bat, it is watching Virat Kohli get owned by Junaid Khan. I think you are a brilliant bowler, and it is a shame that you haven't had the opportunity to bowl in more helpful conditions. How I would love to see you bowl in India.
Yasir - Just don't stop taking wickets, I need you to own India, I need you to take more wickets than Kumble
Rahat - Just don't bowl short, you have the ability to swing the ball, pitch it up

thundaboult

International Debutant
Mitch Johnson- been around long enough to know it's extremes, really good or not so good. When it's right he wins tests for us straight out. When he's wrong we have been able to cover it. Worth his weight.

Josh Hazelwood- Steady, feel confident he'll take a few poles and not leak too many runs. Will get better with age.

Mitchell Starc- God knows. Will just create a miracle ball that destroys the opposition's best batsman, but then just bowl wide lame tripe for ages. Also get sick of all the white/red ball chat, just be ****ing good at both, you've got all the tools.

Mitch Marsh- Don't trust him to be necessarily economical like his predecessor could be, but he has the knack of getting wickets. If his body hold together could legit be an ATG AR.

Nathan Lyon- ****ing adore this little bloke. Beautiful offie action, nice flight and drift. Is pushing his wickets per test tally towards four which is ideal. Always feel confident he'll bowl to the match situation and do the right thing. Has been a couple of times in tests when he's just looked amazing.
You're right about starc. That ball to Mccullum in the final...as much as I hate seeing it...I just can't stop watching it since I love fast bowling.

thundaboult

International Debutant
smith - its like watching a skinny warne!

warner- its like watching a mini warne!

starc - wish he would bowl a bit more like the other mitch

johnson - wish he would bowl a bit more like the other mitch

hazelwood - next mcgrath

marsh - dull

lyon - overachiever but hard to no like him
I'd keep the expectation low for Hazelwood

thundaboult

International Debutant
Tim Southee - Engaged

Boult - Thrilled

Mark Craig - skeptical

Henry - pessimistic

Wagner - phlegmatic

Bracewell - dubious
Yeah as much as I hate to admit it, I don't really think Henry will bounce back....I would love it if he does...but I don't think its likely.

thundaboult

International Debutant
Wahab - 150 plus, I want to see those thunderbolts that destroyed Watson, the yorker that owned man of the tournament Yuvraj. Oh how I would love to see you bowl in Australia and South Africa.
Junaid - There is only one thing I enjoy watching more than watching Virat Kohli bat, it is watching Virat Kohli get owned by Junaid Khan. I think you are a brilliant bowler, and it is a shame that you haven't had the opportunity to bowl in more helpful conditions. How I would love to see you bowl in India.
Yasir - Just don't stop taking wickets, I need you to own India, I need you to take more wickets than Kumble
Rahat - Just don't bowl short, you have the ability to swing the ball, pitch it up
hahaha I love your analysis on this. I don't watch Pakistani bowlers much but from what I've seen of them so far, I'd have to agree with you on all of them. Its tragic how Wahab hasn't been a regular all this time. An underrated dark horse who could achieve so much more. Glad to see that his spell against AUS has given him a reputation.

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
About England: If we had a decent spinner we could be the no.1 ranked test team for a few years (rather than a few months)