• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Australian XI (dayboo post Border's debut) Border- Clarke

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Like Flem's thread on NZ, this is for Aust. Border (debut in or after 1978) is the line because he kind of saw the end of the Chappell/Lillee/Marsh era, lived thru the **** times and then saw in the absolute golden era.

My XI would be:

- Mark Taylor +
- David Boon
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Allan Border
- Adam Gilchrist *
- Shane Warne
- Jason Gillespie
- Ryan Harris
- Glenn McGrath

Hardest spots to decide are the openers and #4. Courting controversy leaving Langer and Hayden out, but I'd prefer Tubs and Boonie. Both faced better attacks and I like them both a heap more. Taylor also gives me a gun captain and slipper. Mark Waugh takes #4 over Martyn and Clarke and Hussey, just because Junior looks so right there, and he also stands at second slip. Ponting, Waugh and Border at 3, 5 and 6 are no brainers for me, although, Hussey is unlucky. Gilly over Healy, Warne obviously, likewise McGrath and Gillespie. Harris for the third quick slot over Hughes, McDermott and Johnson, although I'd liked to have included Billy who I thought was a great quick bowler. He would be my 12th man.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Border is not eligible given the criteria.. BTW, the other teams so far have all been 1980+, don't want to continue with this?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Border is not eligible given the criteria.. BTW, the other teams so far have all been 1980+, don't want to continue with this?
Ah yeh, just realised Border debuted over the new year, and was actually 78 (edited the OP). If we make it 1980 like the others, there'd only be the one change for me anyway

- Mark Taylor +
- David Boon
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Mike Hussey
- Adam Gilchrist *
- Shane Warne
- Jason Gillespie
- Ryan Harris
- Glenn McGrath

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah yeh, just realised Border debuted over the new year, and was actually 78 (edited the OP). If we make it 1980 like the others, there'd only be the one change for me anyway

- Mark Taylor +
- David Boon
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Mike Hussey
- Adam Gilchrist *
- Shane Warne
- Jason Gillespie
- Ryan Harris
- Glenn McGrath
I hope Tubby's wicket keeping is as good as Gilly's captaincy :p

Zinzan

- Mark Taylor +
- David Boon
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Mike Hussey
- Adam Gilchrist *
- Shane Warne
- Jason Gillespie
- Ryan Harris
- Glenn McGrath
Hayden or Langer both > Boon as an opener for mine, and arguably Taylor also, although there's a good argument to select Taylor based on his fine captaincy.

You're not overreacting too much to Clarke's recent dip in form are you? Surely he's > Mark Waugh at test level. I'm also a little stuck between Gillespie and S Clark, I know that wouldn't be popular but I really rated Clark's bowling,

Mine would be

Taylor*
Hayden/Langer
Ponting
Clarke
S Waugh
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Gillespie/Clark
Harris
McGrath

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
My XI would be:

- Mark Taylor +
- David Boon
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Allan Border
- Adam Gilchrist *
- Shane Warne
- Jason Gillespie
- Ryan Harris
- Glenn McGrath
I know you've changed this side now but what stood out straight away to me is there are 4 captains in that lineup (3 bloody great ones). We had to change the England side to get Vaughan in just so we had a decent skipper.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I know you've changed this side now but what stood out straight away to me is there are 4 captains in that lineup (3 bloody great ones). We had to change the England side to get Vaughan in just so we had a decent skipper.
If England had followed the Aus way of doing things we'd be fine

>Get side which anyone could captain successfully
>Make the best batsman captain

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I left out Border because he didn't debut post Border, and also put in a few favourties like Martyn, Lee and McDermott who wouldn't necessarily make a best XI.

- Mark Taylor
- Matthew Hayden
- Ricky Ponting
- Mark Waugh
- Steve Waugh
- Damien Martyn
- Adam Gilchrist
- Shane Warne
- Brett Lee
- Craig McDermott
- Glenn McGrath

morgieb

Taylor*
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
S Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist+
Warne
Harris
Gillespie
McGrath

Something like that. Quite a few quality options for McGrath's partners - Alderman, McDermott, Hughes, Lee, Johnson, Clark and Reid could all challenge Gillespie and Harris, and there's the option of playing MacGill on a real turner (I wouldn't ftr, given the lack of a real all-round option and the extreme depth in seam bowling options). Assuming Border isn't eligible Mark Waugh, Boon, Langer, Slater and Martyn all could challenge for batting positions (plus several others who didn't play enough but may have been gun).

Given the guidelines would omit most of the best West Indians, I presume this lineup would be > anyone else's.

watson

Banned
01. Matthew Hayden
02. Justin Langer
03. Ricky Ponting
04. Steven Smith
05. Michael Clarke
06. Steve Waugh
07. Adam Gilchrist
08. Shane Warne
09. Brett Lee
10. Terry Alderman