• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern Australian XI (dayboo post Border's debut) Border- Clarke

a spambot

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mark Taylor*
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Steve Smith
Steve Waugh
Michael Clarke
Adam Gilchrist+
Mitchell Johnson
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Taylor*
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
S Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist+
Warne
Harris
Gillespie
McGrath

Something like that. Quite a few quality options for McGrath's partners - Alderman, McDermott, Hughes, Lee, Johnson, Clark and Reid could all challenge Gillespie and Harris, and there's the option of playing MacGill on a real turner (I wouldn't ftr, given the lack of a real all-round option and the extreme depth in seam bowling options). Assuming Border isn't eligible Mark Waugh, Boon, Langer, Slater and Martyn all could challenge for batting positions (plus several others who didn't play enough but may have been gun).

Given the guidelines would omit most of the best West Indians, I presume this lineup would be > anyone else's.
I'd seriously consider Johnson over Gillespie in a lineup like that. With McGrath and Harris at the other end, he's far more likely to consistently be his most destructive self.

adub

International Captain
Taylor
Langer
Ponting
Hussey
Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist
Johnson
Warne
Harris
McGrath

Yes, I picked MJ. With Rhino and Pidge his explosiveness is an asset whilst his (thankfully now rare) ability to lose the radar can be covered mostly by two guys who were always on the spot.

Like most Taylor's leadership makes up for his lower average, but for the first five or so years of his career he was also a mighty opener. I felt Langer as an opener just edges Haydos as a little more consistent outside of Australia (ave 46 v 41).

4 was the tricky one. As gorgeous to watch as Mark Waugh was I don't think I could have him in the side over other options. In the end I had three guys for 5&6 so went with Huss at 4 as his record there is better than the other two.

Justo

U19 Debutant
Taylor *
Hayden
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist +
Harris
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Was either Clarke or Hussey for 6. Went with Clarke since he adds an extra bowling option.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor *
Hayden
Ponting
Smith
S Waugh
Clarke
Gilchrist +
Harris
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Was either Clarke or Hussey for 6. Went with Clarke since he adds an extra bowling option.
Has Steve Smith really done enough already to be ahead of the likes of Hussey, M Waugh? I know he has an excellent average after he pelted the Indians around, but you don't think his selection is a touch premature?

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Just gonna post a favourites XI tbh

1. M Slater
2. S Katich
3. J Langer
4. M Waugh
5. S Waugh*
6. M Hussey
7. A Gilchrist+
8. S Warne
9. J Gillespie
10. SCG MacGill
11. G McGrath

12th: D Fleming

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden | Taylor | Ponting | Marto | Waugh | Hussey | Gilly | Warne | McDermott | Harris | McGrath |

Flametree

International 12th Man
Taylor
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Waugh S
Martyn
Gilchrist *
Harris
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Second xi of Slater, Langer, Boon, Waugh M, Clarke, Smith, Healy, Johnson, McDermott, Clark S, MacGill is still pretty fine...