• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Modern New Zealand XI (dayboo post 1980) second poll: Your Hospital Ward Occupants

Pick three pacemen

• Simon Doull

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jacob Oram

• Daryl Tuffey Tuffeh

• Neil Wagner

• Heath Davis

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Flametree

International 12th Man
Seems the vast majority want five bowlers. I'm not sold - not sure the fourth seamer will add much benefit to this side. In a normal test xi, having someone like Cairns or Oram at 6 was fine as they were only marginally worse batsmen than the players they were replacing (and often probably better). But to play Cairns at 6 or 7 here, he's replacing Fleming or Jones I guess, which is a big step down. I know you then pick Watling/McCullum ahead of Smith/Parore and make up 10-15 runs per innings that way (though you lose on keeping quality). I went for Cairns, Boult and Bond. If you don't think Crowe and Williamson are enough for 5th bowling duties (don't forget Richardson!!!) then pick Ryder at 6... which I know is an interesting issue.

Also not enough appreciation for Simon Doull on here - he was just as good as Boult and Southee when he was fit. His averaged slipped from 25.8 to 29 in his last 6 tests (thanks Statsguru), three tests on the glue wickets against Gibbs and Cullinan, then three more against England and Australia when he seemingly was never fit. Amazed he has no votes (admittedly I didn't vote for him either!) when the likes of O'Brien has a couple...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, good fifth bowlers add a lot to the side. And Cairns was brilliant. Wouldn't lose out too much on batting, and it would be worth it.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
O'Brien got my vote as a workhorse and not because he actually better than some of the other options.