• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Anyone heard of Mohammed Irshad

imranrabb

U19 Debutant
Anyone heard of him?I hear good things about him and that he is pakistans next bowling hope.Some say that he bowls 90-95mph

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
bro, just email aamir sohail on his website and he'll tell you how quick irshad is.

www.aamirsohail.com.

enter his website where you can ask questions.

like i said before shoaib akhtar gave an interview in NZ at the lunch break of the first test day 1. i think it was coney who asked about any young bowlers in pakistan who are new prospects.

first thing shoaib mentions is mohammed irshad and that he is bowling in the 150kph+ easily. then he mentions that fahad masood and abdur rauf are also prospects if they work hard.

its shoaib who has actually talked about this guy first and how quick he is. coming from the fastest bowler in the world i believe him every bit.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
imranrabb said:
Anyone heard of him?I hear good things about him and that he is pakistans next bowling hope.Some say that he bowls 90-95mph
This sort of "hearing good things" happens to countless players in the subcontinent.
Inevitably occasionally they pick a rough diamond.
In the vast majority of cases it's a random mispick.
Until we see otherwise, Munaf Patel and Mohammad Irshad are in this category!

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
remember munaf patel is indian who have never had a express bowler so i wouldnt believe it till he plays.

as for mohammed irshad, according to FC players he is every bit as quick as shoaib. remember sami did not receive any hype yet he is bowling very quick. secondly it is shoaib himself who says irshad is as quick as him.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
People who played against Simon Jones use to say he was the faster player they had faced since Brett Lee etc and when he finally bowled in front of a speed gun it was shown he wasnt as fast as people thought.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
if this was the case then why is it that no one mentioned that mohammed sami was quick. he has played domestic cricket and not a single player ever mentioned how quick he was. irshad on the other hand has suprised everyone with his speed and even aamir sohail has mentioned that he'll be playing before the AUS tour at the end of the year.

according to aamir mohammed sami is meduim fast yet he clocks 150kph+ on the speed guns yet irshad is as quick as shoaib.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Muddaser said:
remember munaf patel is indian who have never had a express bowler so i wouldnt believe it till he plays.
Srinath was pretty swift in his youth.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Rik said:
Srinath was pretty swift in his youth.
Indeed he was -- particularly in the season of 96/97 before he injured his shoulder. I fancy at that time he would have been one of the quickest in the world.

Certainly the South African batsmen that faced him then thought so.

Bouncer

State Regular
There was this another Fast bowler who played for PAk in 2000 Irfan Fazal, on his debute he showed good speeo, Mid 140's most of time but went for alot of runs and did not alot of chances again.

KishanTeli

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
according to aamir mohammed sami is meduim fast yet he clocks 150kph+ on the speed guns yet irshad is as quick as shoaib
Speed isn't everyting.

G. McGrath and S. Pollock aren't exactly express are they? Yet look at how successful they have been.

Personally, I would rather have a bowler who hits the right spot consistently.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Muddaser said:

as for mohammed irshad, according to FC players he is every bit as quick as shoaib. remember sami did not receive any hype yet he is bowling very quick. secondly it is shoaib himself who says irshad is as quick as him.
Just because India haven't had an express bowler in the past doesn't necessarily mean they won't have one now or in the future.

masterblaster

International Captain
KishanTeli said:
Speed isn't everyting.

G. McGrath and S. Pollock aren't exactly express are they? Yet look at how successful they have been.

Personally, I would rather have a bowler who hits the right spot consistently.
I completely agree with you there. Speed is nothing without the control, and the two most crucial factors in bowling: line and length.

I would take a Glenn McGrath, Shaun Pollock and Wasim Akram over Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee, Mohammad Sami or this new Irshad guy anyday.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
masterblaster said:
I would take a Glenn McGrath, Shaun Pollock and Wasim Akram over Shoaib Akhtar, Brett Lee, Mohammad Sami or this new Irshad guy anyday.
Actually, if I were to choose today, I'd take Shoaib over McGrath and Pollock. Wasim over Shoaib though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Recently Shoaib has managed a consistent string of good performances.
He's still yet to achieve anything like the consistency of Akram, Pollock and McGrath, though. And until he bowls like he's been bowling since May for at least 2 years I'll still take any of the above.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Muddaser said:

SpaceMonkey said:
People who played against Simon Jones use to say he was the faster player they had faced since Brett Lee etc and when he finally bowled in front of a speed gun it was shown he wasnt as fast as people thought.
Muddaser said:
if this was the case then why is it that no one mentioned that mohammed sami was quick. he has played domestic cricket and not a single player ever mentioned how quick he was. irshad on the other hand has suprised everyone with his speed and even aamir sohail has mentioned that he'll be playing before the AUS tour at the end of the year.

according to aamir mohammed sami is meduim fast yet he clocks 150kph+ on the speed guns yet irshad is as quick as shoaib.
Space has hit the nail on the head here.
The most notoriously poor judges of speed of a bowler are onlooking bystanders. Almost as bad are bowlers. Almost as bad as bowlers are batsmen.
The thing is, plenty of bowlers can seem much quicker than they really are. Equally, some can seem much slower. Muddaser gives an example of each.
No-one can possibly say anything about how fast a bowler really is until he bowls in front of a speed-gun. That is the only accurate judge of relative speeds.

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
richard he clocked 95mph+ in the lahore academy, this is why he was sent right away to the kenstar tournament without playing any first class cricket.

thehellraiser

School Boy/Girl Captain
well this is tremendous news for pakistan cricket.another express bowler,looks like the pakistani tradition of producing great fast bowlers continues.
at the msot pakistan have a very decent pace attack:
shoaib
sami
shabbir

sami has been performing consitently in the past few months and his spell of 5 wickets for 2 runs agianst newzealand in one of the odi's in pakistan was amazing

shabbir is a work horse:performing by consistently in the right place

and with new prospects such as mohammad irshad

the future looks very very bright

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And as Brett Lee's case shows only too well, clocking 95 mph is no use whatsoever unless you can put the ball consistently in the right place.
And the Pakistani tradition of rushing potentially good players into big tournaments appears also to continue. It will also continue to do far more harm than good to most players.
And thehellraiser - Sami, a great bowler? You have to be joking. Take a look at his Test record. He has been performing consistently - poorly. In ODIs he has benefited from exactly the same as Brett Lee. Seeing a pattern? I am.

Ibrar

Cricket Spectator
re irshad

yes he has signed for us and i am looking forward to be playing along side him and openning the batting not against him.