• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket is a dying game

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think T20s have revived it to some extent. But what happens when the novelty of T20s and the franchise leagues wear out over the next few years? Cricket will have played all its cards by then - the test game, one dayers and most recently, the T20s.

I can see this with myself. I used to be fanatical about the game a few years back but have gradually been losing interest. I am still a fan and watch the big stuff whenever I can, but I do so lacking the same enthusiasm of the past.

With talk of women players creeping into lower ranks of the men's game, the idea of mixed cricket has left a bitter taste. Just say a woman gets into first class cricket it would almost feel like I have wasted all those hours following the game. It would cheapen the accomplishment of great players I've watched. Let's be honest, cricket is already not the most athletic of sports (very quick fast bowling and great bits of fielding excepted) and having mixed cricket just would give the impression of it being sissy in the eye of so many. Just saw an American cricketer in the CPL final by the name of Stevens, who was born in Florida and plays for the US and who was signed by Barbados this year, hit the ball to the boundary with great power. He even probably outdid Dawyne Smith in that department. Here is a guy who comes from the US and raised on baseball, instantly shows cricket up. So while baseball celebrates great hitting power, a great arm, we in the cricket world are taking backward step and trying to feminise the sport.

Australia's American felding coach, a former baseball player and coach in the US, had said he thought only KP, andrew Symonds and Dawyne Smith could make it in the MLB if they had played the sport.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Your posts about female commentators were pretty cringe-worthy but this is on a whole new level of terrible.

cpr

International Coach
I looked at this thread and I saw sure I replied months back, turns out I did

Basically, if you're going to post utter garbage, its more effective if its not recycled

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
- If a woman can compete with a man at a particular level of cricket, why shouldn't it be a) allowed and b) celebrated?

- An American hit a ball to the boundary with power and suddenly he has shown cricket up? Pls elaborate on this intriguing observation, including how you came to that conclusion.

- Because you've lost interest in cricket, it means the game is dying? Explain the packed MCG for the Boxing Day test v India. Explain the huge success of the Big Bash and the IPL. Explain how the Ashes in England is sold out nearly every day.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricket has been dead for me since Richie Richardson stopped wearing his hat :(

It was so awesome. Not enough sunhats these days.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That stevens example tho :laugh:

Made it sound like he's some random baseballer who recently picked up cricket rather than the guy who chose cricket when he was just a kid.

Gob

International Coach
I think T20s have revived it to some extent. But what happens when the novelty of T20s and the franchise leagues wear out over the next few years? Cricket will have played all its cards by then - the test game, one dayers and most recently, the T20s.

I can see this with myself. I used to be fanatical about the game a few years back but have gradually been losing interest. I am still a fan and watch the big stuff whenever I can, but I do so lacking the same enthusiasm of the past.

With talk of women players creeping into lower ranks of the men's game, the idea of mixed cricket has left a bitter taste. Just say a woman gets into first class cricket it would almost feel like I have wasted all those hours following the game. It would cheapen the accomplishment of great players I've watched. Let's be honest, cricket is already not the most athletic of sports (very quick fast bowling and great bits of fielding excepted) and having mixed cricket just would give the impression of it being sissy in the eye of so many. Just saw an American cricketer in the CPL final by the name of Stevens, who was born in Florida and plays for the US and who was signed by Barbados this year, hit the ball to the boundary with great power. He even probably outdid Dawyne Smith in that department. Here is a guy who comes from the US and raised on baseball, instantly shows cricket up. So while baseball celebrates great hitting power, a great arm, we in the cricket world are taking backward step and trying to feminise the sport.

Australia's American felding coach, a former baseball player and coach in the US, had said he thought only KP, andrew Symonds and Dawyne Smith could make it in the MLB if they had played the sport.
Just go

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hmmm, this could be just what we need to revitalise the sport and stop it from dying!