• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next World Cup

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
You see, I'd much rather win a World Cup than 16 other ODI series and tournaments...
Guess it's a matter of attitudes and values again.:)
I agree, none of the other tourneys/series are at all significant, which is why I believe far too much 1-day cricket is played (though I understand that this is generally due to commercial considerations). These 7-game series and triangular tournaments where each team plays the other 4 times, followed by a best-of-3 final, end up dragging on terribly and, of course, the importance (and often quality) of each individual game is diluted.

I'd much rather see more 3 and 4 game test series, with a best of 5 1-day series or maximum 9 game + 1 final triangular series.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
I think the Windies could field a very similar batting line-up (to 2003) in 2007, with Lara, Sarwan, Shiv, Gayle, R Powell and - chronic knee injury permitting - Samuels all very likely to figure.

Add a genuine all-round prospect like Bravo and young bowlers like Rampaul, Richardson, Taylor and Benn (giant Bajan off-spinner) and Windies should certainly be in the mix.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Taylor will never be as good as he could have been and will never be as good as he was last year. The injuries have done him in I believe.

Richardson I'm not sold on.

Benn seems a decent bowler and reportedly has a great arm ball. Still, Mohammed should come ahead of him, no?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
SA MUST win this coming world cup

Whats that, fourth time lucky??

Anyway my squad...

1.GC Smith
2.HH Gibbs
3.JP Duminy
4.JC Rudolph
5.JH Kallis
6.VB Van Jaarsveld
7.T Tsolekile
8.HH Dippenaar
9.E Nkwe
10.D Van Wyk
11.Q Friend
12.A Morkel
13.A Nel
14.M Ntini
15.M Ngam
I can't see why Pollock won't be there. He seems rather fit to me.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Taylor will never be as good as he could have been and will never be as good as he was last year. The injuries have done him in I believe.

Richardson I'm not sold on.

Benn seems a decent bowler and reportedly has a great arm ball. Still, Mohammed should come ahead of him, no?
I was just picking Benn out as perhaps having more potential as a 1-day player - certainly looks like he could clout it a fair way and, with his height, is probably hard to get away when he gets it right.

With Richardson, as usual, I'm only going on stats/reports. Seems to have bowled well this year and an interview on Caribbeancricket.com suggested a really good attitude.

As for Taylor, you're becoming too pessimistic Mr M. You've written him and Lawson off recently. There's still hope (though not for this season it would seem).

Mr Mxyzptlk

garage flower said:
As for Taylor, you're becoming too pessimistic Mr M. You've written him and Lawson off recently. There's still hope (though not for this season it would seem).
I've not written either of them off. All I said is that neither will be as good as they could have been. Another Cameron Cuffy/Marlon Black/Corey Collymore case...

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
I've not written either of them off. All I said is that neither will be as good as they could have been. Another Cameron Cuffy/Marlon Black/Corey Collymore case...
Which tyypifies poor management in the WICB, the Jamaica Cricket Assosiation (or is it a Board) or whoever is in charge of these young quicks staying fit.

More evidence in what contracting its players will benefit them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Indeed. He's the flagship player.
I never knew how good Collymore, Cuffy and Black were before their injuries (didn't actually even know Cuffy and Black had suffered some).
I certainly did rate King very highly indeed, though. All I can say is right now I don't rate any of the three above and sadly King appears to be nothing like the bowler he used to be. Haven't seen a single delivery by him since Headingley 2000.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Black and Collymore in particular were quite quick. Collymore has now transformed into a different type if bowler. He was always able to swing the ball and was accurate, but he's not near his old pace. If he could still bowl as quickly as he used to be able to, he could be an amazing bowler. I think Cuffy is the same situation, but not 100% sure.

Reon King was poised to have a great career by any standards.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But as Atherton has found-out (whether he'll accept it or not) that isn't guranteed to solve the problem.
Even Australia have had problems recently - and one of the keys to their recent success has been so few injuries.

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
Do you think that Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Agarkar and Kumble will be there for a couple more WC's? I don't want them to leave!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Prof_Lupin said:
Do you think that Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly, Agarkar and Kumble will be there for a couple more WC's? I don't want them to leave!
A couple? I doubt Kumble will be there for one more and Tendulkar and Dravid may be there for two more. I don't think AA is good enough to be a fixture 8 years from now. Also, he'll be a spent force by then you'd think.

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
Maybe AA might not.. Guess you're right. Also my dad's been saying that Kumble is all spent and that he might be leaving after the Pak series. He has a lot of shoulder problems. I hope the stron Indian (current) team can play in the next WC.

BTW whatever happened to Kaif? And why do people always talk about Pathan and forget Balaji? Balaji was as good, if not better than Pathan in the aussie series.

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
I only saw him play in the WC so I cannot rate him yet, but his fielding reminds me (sorta) of Azar IMO. Yes I actually remember Azar although i'm only 15! (cause I saw lots of recorded vids! Plus I have good memory. He playes when I was 9 and sorts.)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Prof_Lupin said:
And why do people always talk about Pathan and forget Balaji? Balaji was as good, if not better than Pathan in the aussie series.
Balaji will always suffer on here from the "Balaji syndrome" - named after him when he was so hyped up before his international debut as one of the best bowlers in history, then his debut was 4 overs for 44!

It is unfortunate, but just like AA will always be praised on here and highly regarded, Balaji will always have this monkey on his back!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Same way Pathan's ability, with ball and bat, seem foretoomed to be massively overrated for ages yet.