• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which 4 heads would you put on a cricketing Mount Rushmore?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zinzan, you're typically a reasonable fellow with sound logic (bar some draft picks and possible team selections which confuse me). So I ask you, are you doing a hall of fame, or four founding fathers?
Probably a combination of both tbh, with a premium being on the 'founding fathers'. I just feel Sobers' unique all-round ability coupled with his almost unanimous recognition as the 2nd greatest cricketer of all time seals his spot with Grace & Bradman.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't necessarily disagree with the above. But it was on his watch as as an administrator that the World Series Cricket revolution occurred under Kerry Packer. You should read around why this occurred.

Cricket was already the national sport of Australia with great appeal before Bradman was it not? Bradman is the best batsmen to have played the game. That is not in dispute and nor is it the issue. Sobers, according to Bradman, was the best cricketer to have played the game. That also is not in dispute and nor is it the issue at present (but I prefer Imran Khan to Sobers myself).

The issue is, is this the founding fathers of cricket as we know it today, or is it a hall of fame for on field performances?

mount rushmore is made up of only 2 founding fathers, and 2 popular/mega important presidents

so 2 GOATS and 2 founding fathers

wisden, grace, sobers and bradman imo

Probably a combination of both tbh, with a premium being on the 'founding fathers'. I just feel Sobers' unique all-round ability coupled with his almost unanimous recognition as the 2nd greatest cricketer of all time seals his spot with Grace & Bradman.
Almost unanimous. There is a few of us in the Imran greater than Sobers camp. We are outnumbered, but we exist.

I have WG Grace and Kerry Packer as certainties on this mountain.

I am not sure Kerry Packer ever played the game, but he is up there on that mountain for mine. Cricket under lights, players in pyjamas, white balls, players professionally reimbursed, players not retiring so early because they are paid to play, multiple camera angles, great tv product, new rules...

Last edited:

Zinzan

Almost unanimous. There is a few of us in the Imran greater than Sobers camp. We are outnumbered, but we exist.
Yeah, so 'almost unanimous' is accurate then. Most voting polls (usually including ex-cricketers & cricket historians) I've seen from the likes of Wisden, MCC, Cricinfo have Sobers well ahead in 2nd place after Bradman, with quite a decent gap to 3rd.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
some people might have andrew jackson or woodrow wilson over teddy roosevelt. it's almost unanimous tho

Zinzan

I have WG Grace and Kerry Packer as certainties on this mountain.

I am not sure Kerry Packer ever played the game, but he is up there on that mountain for mine. Cricket under lights, players in pyjamas, white balls, players professionally reimbursed, players not retiring so early because they are paid to play, multiple camera angles, great tv product, new rules...
Lol, stop always editing after someone has already quoted you and responded. It can make it look as if they've mine-quoted you :p

Don't get me wrong, we all edit posts once in a while, but yours are often quite a bit later and well after folks have quoted you....

some people might have andrew jackson or woodrow wilson over teddy roosevelt. it's almost unanimous tho
Heh. I am not disputing Bradman as the greatest batsmen of all time. I am just saying, if this is Mount Rushmore of the founding fathers of modern professional cricket as we know it today, then Kerry Packer led the "Packer revolution" successfully and did more to change, develop and evolve the game than Bradman did.

Last edited:
Lol, stop always editing after someone has already quoted you and responded. It can make it look as if they've mine-quoted you :p

Don't get me wrong, we all edit posts once in a while, but yours are often quite a bit later and well after folks have quoted you....
I don't do edits to upset people. But I do edit my posts a lot to clarify and further my communication with people, so as to continue to develop on themes and points in threads so as to not to post a new post, and before I see someone has reply posted. Can you imagine how many new posts by me that there would be if I did not edit and re-edit?

Feel free to respond to anything in the edit. If you want to respond to Kerry Packer, either on the mountain, or not, go for it.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
My criteria is different to what others are applying, but I would only be selecting "founding fathers" and Tendulkar isn't that, those who either helped to create the game or who helped to expand it into new territory.

Teddy Roosevelt was dead 10 years prior to the creation of Mt Rushmore, the others long long gone.It wasn't meant to be a contemporary idea of the 4 most significant people to America ever, it was the 4 greatest figures that crafted America in its first 130 years.
That's fair enough. Different criteria then.

Zinzan

I don't do edits to upset people. But I do edit my posts a lot to clarify my communication with people. Feel free to respond to anything in the edit. If you want to respond to Kerry Packer, either on the mountain, or not, go for it.
Nah, that's cool. It wasn't actually specific to that last edit at all, but just generally speaking it can look like people aren't quoting you in context when you add stuff to the post later on. No big deal tbh, It was partly tongue and cheek.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not sure Bradman gets on this mountain. I wouldn't complain if he does, but I am just not sure he gets there.
Why? Some pricks from England had to think up a whole strategy that affected diplomatic relations to take him down, and that is a big big moment in the history of cricket. He's a monster of the game. Its not just cos he averaged 99.94, its because of what that 99.94 average meant for the game.

Why? Some pricks from England had to think up a whole strategy that affected diplomatic relations to take him down, and that is a big big moment in the history of cricket. He's a monster of the game. Its not just cos he averaged 99.94, its because of what that 99.94 average meant for the game.
Well that strategy led to the limited fielders behind square rule being implemented. I am not sure that that is Bradman, or Jardine implementing leg theory against him and other members of the Australian team.

If you want to use this criteria, there should be Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Colin Croft and Joel Garner on a mountain somewhere as they gave us a whole host of further rule changes for being too fantastic within the existing rules. Or Lillee and Thomson with Roberts and Holding.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hashim Amla, Mohammed Yousuf, Moeen Ali, Joe Root (with fist of David warner)

Last edited:

Daemon

Yeah if you go by Athlai/Grumpy's criteria Tendulkar doesn't really warrant a spot.