0 0%
  • Kallicharan

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The second greatest number 3 of all time

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar

The second greatest number 3 of all time

ATG teams aren't everyone's thing, but I've never seen a serious ATG team that doesn't include The Don as the number 3. Which raises an interesting question: if The Don never existed, who would you include as your ATG number 3?

It's also an interesting discussion point, because I think that people will have vastly different, but wholly justified, reasons for their choices.

So vote away, and discuss also.

(the rough criteria for the poll was at least 20 innings at #3 and a 50+ average in that position, but I've excluded a few who had a good record there, but played a lot more cricket in other positions).

Great No.3s should be to able counter-punch and then dominate the innings, either against the new ball or old. This requires great skill and arrogance.

Viv Richards.
    Last edited by watson; 24-07-2015 at 11:46 PM.
    FAVOURITE: 1. Barry Richards - 2. Victor Trumper - 3. Rohan Kanhai - 4. Brian Lara - 5. Garry Sobers - 6. Frank Woolley - 7. Alan Knott - 8. Maurice Tate - 9. Dennis Lillee - 10. Sydney Barnes - 11. Colin 'Charlie' Blythe

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Great No.3s should be able counter-punch and then dominate the innings, either against the new ball or old. This requires great skill and arrogance.

Viv Richards.
    How much did he bat at 3? Seem to recall Gomes largely being at 3.
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

I voted for Lara out of respect. But the more I think about it Sanga has a case for being the most classical number 3 out of all them.

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Fair bit. Later on he dropped down to 4 and 5 when Richardson took over at 3

International Coach OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Plenty. He batted at 3 during his first peak which began in 75/76.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Wow baby, that gave me an orgasmic pleasure!

Well I think he (Richards) is too attacking to be a classical number 3 anyway. Possibly a great number 4. I have memories of him either coming off or getting out for 28(17) - he was arguably the most destructive batsman of all time. Not someone I would pick to steady the ship if a wicket fell in the first over.

Richards occupied the No.3 spot from 1976 to 1986. Only from the end of 1986 onwards did he bat regularly lower down the order. Larry Gomes did bat at No.3 on 19 occasions from 1976 to 1987, but for the most part he was at No.4 or 5.

Richards record at No.3 is;
    Tests = 45
    Runs = 3508
    Average = 61.54
    100s = 12
    50s = 14
    HS = 291

Tbh though I'm surprised at how relatively few tests Richards batted at No.3 as my teenage cricketing memories seem to consist mainly of Richards carrying the assault to Snow, Lillee, or Willis and co. - and seemingly coming off first best most of the time.
    Last edited by watson; 25-07-2015 at 12:18 AM.

International 12th Man schearzie's Avatar
    Richards reminds me a lot of Kevin Pieterson and that brand of batting is exciting and as many have said destructive, but I'd rather someone who has more facets to their game for number 3.

I've gone with Lara, but he and Sanga play very similarly in that role

International Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Richards reminds me a lot of Kevin Pieterson and that brand of batting is exciting and as many have said destructive, but I'd rather someone who has more facets to their game for number 3.
    Incorrectly assuming he didn't have more facets to his game.
    zorax likes this.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

International 12th Man schearzie's Avatar
    Really not what I've heard or seen of Richards to make me think differently, I'd love to see or read about a few of his differently tempo's innings if you could tell me where?
    Last edited by schearzie; 25-07-2015 at 12:41 AM.

International Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Really not what I've heard or seen of Richards to make me think differently, I'd love to see or read about a few of his differently tempo's innings if you could tell me where?
    There was this extremely gritty hundred he scored in Pakistan around 80-81 against Imran and Sarfraz. That probably the best innings to watch for his other side.
    schearzie likes this.

Imran Khan removed Desmond Haynes and Bacchus for 22 runs on the first morning at Multan, 1980. Richards remained 120 not out as the West Indies were dismissed for 249. Imran finished with 5 for 62. Richards strike rate was a more circumspect 46.

4th Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Multan, Dec 30, 1980 - Jan 4, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by watson; 25-07-2015 at 12:59 AM.
    schearzie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    Imran Khan removed Desmond Haynes and Bacchus for 22 runs on the first morning at Multan, 1980. Richards remained 120 not out as the West Indies were dismissed for 249. Imran finished with 5 for 62. Richards strike rate was a more circumspect 46.

4th Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Multan, Dec 30, 1980 - Jan 4, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
    Give us other examples. I am skeptical. My memories is that he was cavalier in the extreme. Perfect man to walk in at number 4 and just dominate.

I think Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, Amla, Kanhai, Hammond, Headley and Viv are all equally great and are perfect in their own ways to be the no.3 for the teams they played for. Lara, Tendulkar, G.Chappell, Kallis and Weekes are top notch no.4s.

Just for the different dimension he brought to this role with so much gusto I vote for Viv Richards. He did to the no.3 position what Gilly did to no.7 15 years later.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information