• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The second greatest number 3 of all time

Second greatest #3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
ATG teams aren't everyone's thing, but I've never seen a serious ATG team that doesn't include The Don as the number 3. Which raises an interesting question: if The Don never existed, who would you include as your ATG number 3?

It's also an interesting discussion point, because I think that people will have vastly different, but wholly justified, reasons for their choices.

So vote away, and discuss also.

(the rough criteria for the poll was at least 20 innings at #3 and a 50+ average in that position, but I've excluded a few who had a good record there, but played a lot more cricket in other positions).

watson

Banned
Great No.3s should be to able counter-punch and then dominate the innings, either against the new ball or old. This requires great skill and arrogance.

Viv Richards.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Great No.3s should be able counter-punch and then dominate the innings, either against the new ball or old. This requires great skill and arrogance.

Viv Richards.
How much did he bat at 3? Seem to recall Gomes largely being at 3.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for Lara out of respect. But the more I think about it Sanga has a case for being the most classical number 3 out of all them.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Well I think he (Richards) is too attacking to be a classical number 3 anyway. Possibly a great number 4. I have memories of him either coming off or getting out for 28(17) - he was arguably the most destructive batsman of all time. Not someone I would pick to steady the ship if a wicket fell in the first over.

watson

Banned
How much did he bat at 3? Seem to recall Gomes largely being at 3.
Richards occupied the No.3 spot from 1976 to 1986. Only from the end of 1986 onwards did he bat regularly lower down the order. Larry Gomes did bat at No.3 on 19 occasions from 1976 to 1987, but for the most part he was at No.4 or 5.

Richards record at No.3 is;
Tests = 45
Runs = 3508
Average = 61.54
100s = 12
50s = 14
HS = 291

Tbh though I'm surprised at how relatively few tests Richards batted at No.3 as my teenage cricketing memories seem to consist mainly of Richards carrying the assault to Snow, Lillee, or Willis and co. - and seemingly coming off first best most of the time.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Richards reminds me a lot of Kevin Pieterson and that brand of batting is exciting and as many have said destructive, but I'd rather someone who has more facets to their game for number 3.

I've gone with Lara, but he and Sanga play very similarly in that role

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richards reminds me a lot of Kevin Pieterson and that brand of batting is exciting and as many have said destructive, but I'd rather someone who has more facets to their game for number 3.
Incorrectly assuming he didn't have more facets to his game.

The Battlers Prince

Really not what I've heard or seen of Richards to make me think differently, I'd love to see or read about a few of his differently tempo's innings if you could tell me where?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Really not what I've heard or seen of Richards to make me think differently, I'd love to see or read about a few of his differently tempo's innings if you could tell me where?
There was this extremely gritty hundred he scored in Pakistan around 80-81 against Imran and Sarfraz. That probably the best innings to watch for his other side.

watson

Banned
Imran Khan removed Desmond Haynes and Bacchus for 22 runs on the first morning at Multan, 1980. Richards remained 120 not out as the West Indies were dismissed for 249. Imran finished with 5 for 62. Richards strike rate was a more circumspect 46.

4th Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Multan, Dec 30, 1980 - Jan 4, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Imran Khan removed Desmond Haynes and Bacchus for 22 runs on the first morning at Multan, 1980. Richards remained 120 not out as the West Indies were dismissed for 249. Imran finished with 5 for 62. Richards strike rate was a more circumspect 46.

4th Test: Pakistan v West Indies at Multan, Dec 30, 1980 - Jan 4, 1981 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Give us other examples. I am skeptical. My memories is that he was cavalier in the extreme. Perfect man to walk in at number 4 and just dominate.

bagapath

International Captain
I think Ponting, Dravid, Sangakkara, Amla, Kanhai, Hammond, Headley and Viv are all equally great and are perfect in their own ways to be the no.3 for the teams they played for. Lara, Tendulkar, G.Chappell, Kallis and Weekes are top notch no.4s.

Just for the different dimension he brought to this role with so much gusto I vote for Viv Richards. He did to the no.3 position what Gilly did to no.7 15 years later.

The Battlers Prince

Could not be more different, Lara failed miserably against fast bowlers at three, that's the reason he could not hold down the position.
He copped some absolute peaches from McGrath in particular there, but he also delivered some great knocks. in 1995 against Australiahe scored an 88 when no one else got above 30. Australia only scored 210

His 375 and 400 were from 3 as well

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richards occupied the No.3 spot from 1976 to 1986. Only from the end of 1986 onwards did he bat regularly lower down the order. Larry Gomes did bat at No.3 on 19 occasions from 1976 to 1987, but for the most part he was at No.4 or 5.

Richards record at No.3 is;
Tests = 45
Runs = 3508
Average = 61.54
100s = 12
50s = 14
HS = 291

Tbh though I'm surprised at how relatively few tests Richards batted at No.3 as my teenage cricketing memories seem to consist mainly of Richards carrying the assault to Snow, Lillee, or Willis and co. - and seemingly coming off first best most of the time.

Like a few others, surprised Viv played quite so many tests at no. 3 as I naturally think of him primarily as a 4 (or even 5). I see he actually played most test matches as a no 5. He and Sangakkara both have fine records at 3, but Barrington, Hammond & Headley are out of this world.

So while I'm undecided, It is hard to go past Sangakkara, given he scored over 11,000 runs at 3 and averaged >60