• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The second greatest number 3 of all time

Second greatest #3?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Full expect Chappeli to sign up and vote for himself. Good bait by Red Hill.
Haha.
I rate Chappeli the batsman. Highly. Brilliant cricketer whose overall average doesn't do justice to how good he was.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Then I am going to do the unthinkable on cricket chat and retract my view. All of my impressions of Viv were when I was a young lad and not at least until circa 1980 at the earliest. At that stage he had become somewhat belligerent. He was stunning in his belligerence mind you and could completely dominate an attack like no man has ever since or possibly ever will. Part of that dominance was his persona. It wasn't just that he was hitting fours. It was the swagger and the fact he was chewing gum out there. He was a very macho man. And he played like one. There is no other word than domineering.

Still a problem exists when categorising him as the best number 3 ever, if he only played like a terrific number 3 during say 40% of his career is that enough time.
This thread has been quite eye opening with regards to my views on Viv.

Should go check out more footage and writing on him.
Psychologically, Viv HAD to dominate bowlers. I think there was a reaction against racial oppression tied up in this. Viv had a massive series in 1976 after Greig made his ill-informed "grovel" quote about the WIs. He averaged 120 in that series. Viv, being an eye player, probably went on a little too long, he was still serviceable, but not the force he once was. Like Ponting in that respect perhaps.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Viv of those I've seen, but I'd probably plumb for Hammond from an all time pov.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Richards occupied the No.3 spot from 1976 to 1986. Only from the end of 1986 onwards did he bat regularly lower down the order. Larry Gomes did bat at No.3 on 19 occasions from 1976 to 1987, but for the most part he was at No.4 or 5.

Richards record at No.3 is;
Tests = 45
Runs = 3508
Average = 61.54
100s = 12
50s = 14
HS = 291

Tbh though I'm surprised at how relatively few tests Richards batted at No.3 as my teenage cricketing memories seem to consist mainly of Richards carrying the assault to Snow, Lillee, or Willis and co. - and seemingly coming off first best most of the time.
Sanga, averages 61.2 at #3, 37 100S, 50 50s, HS - 319.

If the gloves were taken away, then average rises to ridiculous 68.05. That is some pretty tough competition for the King.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My gut instinct was to say "Viv" to myself upon reading the thread title.

Statistically that seems to be borne out as well. Hammond's conversion record is pretty bloody good.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
Sanga, averages 61.2 at #3, 37 100S, 50 50s, HS - 319.

If the gloves were taken away, then average rises to ridiculous 68.05. That is some pretty tough competition for the King.
Difficult to rate batting averages of Sri Lankans given their home grounds.