• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup XI's

Which of my World Cup XI's do you think is the best?

• 1975 XI

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • 1979 XI

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 1983 XI

• 1987 XI

• 1992 XI

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • 1996 XI

• 1999 XI

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • 2003 XI

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Ever heard of video footage?
And the 1992 World Cup was what first attracted me to the game.
U were 7 yrs old supposedly when the '92 was on, i think you belong in a different era when a one day run rate was 4 an over. Can't help thinking you are different for the sake of being different. Are you telling me you've seen every match from all the w/c's?Wasn't aware video footage was that plentiful.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Added to that he caught 14 as compared to Moin's 12.
Well actually Moin Khan had 15 dissmissals (11 caught, 4 stumped) compared with Ridley Jacobs 14 dissmissals (14 caught) during the 1999 World Cup.

Craig

World Traveller
Ford, He may have done it on a few occasions and I think the 1987 WC, but Viv Richards batted at 3. Liam will say otherwise if it needs correcting.

Swap him with Glenn Turner.

Also Crow batted at four and Harris at 10?

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Craig said:
Ford, He may have done it on a few occasions and I think the 1987 WC, but Viv Richards batted at 3. Liam will say otherwise if it needs correcting.

Swap him with Glenn Turner.

Also Crow batted at four and Harris at 10?
Remember Craig these are best XI's and my batting order was based on their particular World Cup performances, not where they usually batted through their career.

It was hard to put in batting order when eg. Say you had two No.3 batsmen from different countries who performed well to warrant a place in the XI.

Harris is batting at 10 as the players above him performed better (batting wise) than him in the 1992 World Cup. Harris was in my '92 XI thanks to his bowling performances in the 1992 World Cup.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Well actually Moin Khan had 15 dissmissals (11 caught, 4 stumped) compared with Ridley Jacobs 14 dissmissals (14 caught) during the 1999 World Cup.
15? Are you sure it wasn't 16? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that it was 12 catches and 4 stumpings.

Anyway, I'd still like a decent answer as to why Moin is in ahead of Jacobs.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
15? Are you sure it wasn't 16? I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that it was 12 catches and 4 stumpings.

Anyway, I'd still like a decent answer as to why Moin is in ahead of Jacobs.
No I'm right, check out my link to the fielding stats

1999 World Cup - Most Fielding Dismissals

Moin Khan is ahead because I felt IMO that he was a better all-round package compared to Ridley Jacobs during the '99 World Cup.

Jacobs batting average is a little deceving considering he only batted four times compared to Khans' nine times.

Khans' Strike Rate was a whopping 110.50 compared to Jacobs 50.24.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
The 1999 world cup XI is the one for me.......The 99 World Cup provided the most competition IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Help what?

Not make sense that's for sure.
Maybe not to those who are prejudiced against one and determined to make everything make no sense at all to stop from the devaluation of their own points which has already happened?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
U were 7 yrs old supposedly when the '92 was on, i think you belong in a different era when a one day run rate was 4 an over. Can't help thinking you are different for the sake of being different. Are you telling me you've seen every match from all the w/c's?Wasn't aware video footage was that plentiful.
No supposedly about it, sonny. Ask Neil if you don't believe me, he's met me. I'm only 9 days younger than him.
I've not seen every match, of course I haven't, but I've seen as much as I can possibly get hold of. I've got most of the 1999 World Cup stuff of import on tape, too.
A one-day run-rate, meanwhile, was just about 2-an-over in a recent game, SL v Eng at Dambulla.
Can't help thinking you need to rephrase that statement.;)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Ford_GTHO351 said:
Jacobs batting average is a little deceving considering he only batted four times compared to Khans' nine times.
But his run total (37 less) is less deceiving.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ford_GTHO351 said:
No I'm right, check out my link to the fielding stats

1999 World Cup - Most Fielding Dismissals

Moin Khan is ahead because I felt IMO that he was a better all-round package compared to Ridley Jacobs during the '99 World Cup.

Khans' Strike Rate was a whopping 110.50 compared to Jacobs 50.24.
As Marc said, Jacobs was more productive overall.