• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gambling on cricket thread

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I opened a BetFair account a few weeks back, already lost $100 from betting on England in the 2nd Ashes Test. Got on them at 3.3 thinking that was pretty good since they won the first one. Aussie was of course 337/1 at the end of the first day of that Test and I got hammered.

Now I'm long on England for the 3rd Test. Am on them at 4.65 and hope to lay off at 4.2. Feel that 4.65 is massively overvalued seeing as they went into the previous Test at 3.3.

Am I doing it right? Anyone got any tips for beating the markets?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Don't smoke weed before doing it :ph34r:

That being said, my one foray into sports betting was the English @ $2.50 after Day 1 of Brisbane 2013/14, so...

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ive had a bit of success this series. had money on smith to top score in the second test, any aus/english batsmen to score a ton in the first innings of the second test, and nevill to make 50 in the first innings. 2/3 aint bad and i doubled my money. if nevile had improved on his 45 by just a little bit i would have tripled it

Niall

International Coach
I opened a BetFair account a few weeks back, already lost $100 from betting on England in the 2nd Ashes Test. Got on them at 3.3 thinking that was pretty good since they won the first one. Aussie was of course 337/1 at the end of the first day of that Test and I got hammered.

Now I'm long on England for the 3rd Test. Am on them at 4.65 and hope to lay off at 4.2. Feel that 4.65 is massively overvalued seeing as they went into the previous Test at 3.3.

Am I doing it right? Anyone got any tips for beating the markets?
Firstly you should not get to demoralised about a losing bet here and their, obviously if you keep losing then stop, you are ****e at it.:laugh:

I like you bet for the third test, we have seen plenty of sides hammered in test series and came back next test. England have played 4 tests against NZ and Australia this summer, have dominated 2 and lost 2. The market does seem to have overreacted a little, Australia are rightfully favourites, but England have not turned into Zimbabwe overnight.

T20 is where the money is to be made, so many momentum swings in that especially in the West Indies where small targets are very defendable. Unlike the IPL and the Big Bash which are obviously superior leagues, but don't have the rubbish players that you see in the smaller leagues which make betting more fun.

Shame its nearly over now though.:@

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Something that really helped me was learning to think of myself as being like a Test batsman facing Ish Sodhi. Rather than dance down the track and look to make things happen all the time (I'd often effectively talk myself into seeing some value that will "make following the game more fun" every time I'd look at a page of odds), these days I'm a lot more patient in waiting for the true duds, the really pitifully bad odds.

If you're like Cribbage (or me) and you're prepared to quietly assemble an extensive knowledge of a minnow or a domestic cricket scene, you'll start seeing some really amusingly lazy efforts from the bookies. Slip-ups you can smack very hard indeed.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I've got some people laughing at me for still using Cricket | Oddschecker to get a quick overview of what prices the major bookies are offering at any given time.

What similar sites/apps do the more sophisticated punters on CW prefer these days?

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
I've got some people laughing at me for still using Cricket | Oddschecker to get a quick overview of what prices the major bookies are offering at any given time.

What similar sites/apps do the more sophisticated punters on CW prefer these days?
Oddschecker is great when it works. I know sometimes bookies have issues with prices displaying but for me I genuinely do not see the issue whatsoever. Its also very good for the minor markets which are the ones I know for a fact the bookies bar one or two put the least effort in compiling (one goes up and the rest follow with same prices rather blindly)

Obviously its always an idea to go to the bookies official site as sometimes it can pick up players prices wrong especially if the same surname and sometimes it can be slow in updating prices for some bookies.

I am somewhat biased though as living in Europe/Uk as that is the audience it is mainly targeted.:D

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I use OddsChecker still. Didn't know about Best Betting. I've noticed that the Matchbook column most closely mirrors the movements on BetFair.

Made a bit last night on the India/Aussie T20. India was paying $2.84 which I thought was extreme value for a T20. Would have thought something like $2.30 was more fair.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So to keep me entertained during the T20 World Cup I put a 30 cent multi.

I put the bet on 13/03 after Bangladesh's first game in the qualifiers are the individual odds to be the highest run scorer for their country were:

Tamin $1.40
Gayle $3.00
S.Smith $4.33
Dilshan $3.40
R.Sharma $3.10
Hafeez $3.25
Williamson $3.20
Root $4.33
Amla $4.50

Odds: $38,842.89

So I'm definitely nervous about TPC and it is still early days but I probably should have gone for Kohli. Williamson is down in 4th for NZ, but within striking distance but the other 6 are all in front, some are way in front.

I probably should have just chucked a dollar on it as I don't think I'll miss the 70c as much as potentially missing out on 25K.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So to keep me entertained during the T20 World Cup I put a 30 cent multi.

I put the bet on 13/03 after Bangladesh's first game in the qualifiers are the individual odds to be the highest run scorer for their country were:

Tamin $1.40
Gayle $3.00
S.Smith $4.33
Dilshan $3.40
R.Sharma $3.10
Hafeez $3.25
Williamson $3.20
Root $4.33
Amla $4.50

Odds: $38,842.89

So I'm definitely nervous about TPC and it is still early days but I probably should have gone for Kohli. Williamson is down in 4th for NZ, but within striking distance but the other 6 are all in front, some are way in front.

I probably should have just chucked a dollar on it as I don't think I'll miss the 70c as much as potentially missing out on 25K.

yeah i always bet roughly the same amount (5-10) for every bet so im never left kicking myself if one comes off. 30 cents way too small. luckily... this bet wont win