• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll 5: middle order for all time subcontinental XI

Choose THREE to bat at 3,4 & 5 for the all time subcontinental test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fusion

Global Moderator
I too believe Miandad was probably marginally superior to Younis. But going with your logic should you not be voting for Hazare instead of Dravid / Tendulkar? Rahul and Sachin had each other and also Laxman and Sehwag for support. Even Ganguly, Gambhir, Kohli and Dhoni played enough with them to release some of the pressure. Vijay Hazare OTOH was a lone gunslinger, more than Javed Miandad even.
Ah, but I’m comparing players of equal caliber (at least from a full career perspective) in Miandad and Younis, to place one slightly above the other. Hazare, as good as he was, is not an equal to Tendulkar/Dravid. I’m merely pointing out, that IMHO, Miandad had to shoulder more of the batting load and hence faced greater pressure in his career, than Younis has. I’m certainly not saying that being “the” man in your batting lineup automatically makes you better; instead I’m just using it as one of the criteria to differentiate players of similar stature.

bagapath

International Captain
cool. just pausing for a moment to appreciate hazare for having weathered the storm from miller, lindwall, truman, bedser and statham and still average 50+ until the last two tests of his career brought the numbers down to a still very respectable 47.... and moving on...